Grime Re-Versioning

Woebot

If there's any tactic of Grime's at the moment that makes me *really* worry, it's the vogue for VIP remixes and re-versioning of old "classic" Grime like this one: Godsgift - Mic Tribute (2006 Old Skool Mega Mix). I swear I've seen a few others.

The same thing happened with jungle at a certain point.

ambrose

is this really a recent phenomenon? it seems that the whole time ive been listening to garage or grime this has been happening, albeit not maybe in the form of more officially titled releases. wasnt there a 2002 "its a london ting"? and several versions of diamond rings for exmaple? furthe to that, listening to pirates, the dominant theme is rehashing in bootlegs years old tunes - you still hear the characteristic drums of "r u really from the ends" in tunes on radio now, for example? i only say this as this seems to be a founding aspect of grime - constant cannibalisation - rather than a new aspect that will kill the scene.

Woebot

ambrose said:
i only say this as this seems to be a founding aspect of grime - constant cannibalisation - rather than a new aspect that will kill the scene.

couldn't really agree with that actually.....

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
WOEBOT said:
If there's any tactic of Grime's at the moment that makes me *really* worry, it's the vogue for VIP remixes and re-versioning of old "classic" Grime like this one: Godsgift - Mic Tribute (2006 Old Skool Mega Mix). I swear I've seen a few others.

The same thing happened with jungle at a certain point.

Yeh there's the Nicole's Groove rmx which was complete cack.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
This has been happening forever with grime and garage. It is very much what the scene was founded on. Pulse X was regurgitated hundereds of times, as was Eskimo, (anyone remember Skepta's 1st big tune 'Pulse Eskimo?') I Luv U, Ho, Go, Dilemma etc etc. all got booted and VIPed to death.

This trend is about as recent as 8 ball jackets.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i dunno matt, there's refixing, where current tunes get cannibalised, but i think woebot is talking about revisting other, older tunes, which feels different not least because tunes like 'Mic Tribute' feel like they're from a whole different era. Pulse Eskimo was a then contemporary twist.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I see the distinction, but they have both been going on a long time.

Constant contemporary cannibalisation aside (**3-hit alliteration counter-combo - 1000 points**), loads of old hardcore was made into early underground garage, (We R E, Madie in 2 Minutes, Hurt U So etc etc), then loads of 2-step re-hashed all the early garage (I have four 2-step versions/boots of 24hr experience's 'Together' for example), the late 90s saw loads of UKG producers re-defining each other's earlier work (see the 4 trillion remixes of 'I Refuse' by Somore Locked On released for example) as well as looking back to Jungle/D&B/Hardcore/everything else.

Then loads of UKG/2 step tunes were VIP'ed into new grimier versions when grime started to happen, e.g. Bump & Flex's mix of 'All I Do', Saved Soul etc. These records were released in a matter of months from the originals, but already they were being put in a slightly different context, harping back to a different sound and in fact creating daylight between the two. Even that rub of Dilemma that Slimzee used to play so much could be seen this way, as the original So Solid joint was arguably from a different 'era' in terms of UK garage.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Mic Tribute is a bootleg and nothing to do with Godsgift.

Apart from that there's a few remakes of old beats. That's about it.