Personal Character reflected in Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

do you think that the music you listen to reflects your character? am i loud, simple, obnoxious and aggressive becasue thats the only type of music i listen to? are indie fans fey and ineffectual? are electronica obsessives anal nerdy cunts? are jazz fans chin strokers? do people who listen to 'all sorts really' lacking a sense of self? etc etc

this is a stupid question, sorry

luka

both those replies are interesting and true. i think my question needs refining but that can happen as it goes along. its true i would like to be loud and aggressive in a way. mindlessly extroverted anyway. i also listen to a lot of slow jams and i would like to be a loverman too. i think i am more simple than many people but it probably works for others too.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I like *some* twee-indie music, but I"m a rude, arrogant cunt and master Dissensus dissenter! Maybe I'm in denial about my sensitve side?

D

droid

Buick6 said:
I"m a rude, arrogant cunt

Spot on! :D Dont know about the rest of yer post though... :p

Isnt this a bit like 'do dogs look like their owners'?

Everyone goes through phases of liking different genres of music - And since most of the posters here do so simultaneously, if there was anything to your propsition, then most Dissensians would turn out to have extreme multiple personailty disorders...

luka

i'm not sure about your reasoning actually droid.
people change, peoples ideas of who theyare and what they want to be change, etc

D

droid

luka said:
i'm not sure about your reasoning actually droid.
people change, peoples ideas of who theyare and what they want to be change, etc

Well just from a personal point of view, I appreciate stuff from metal, punk and rock, to ambient, soundtrack, avant garde, electronica and jungle/D+B to reggae/dub/dancehall to acid house, techno, breakbeat, hip-hop, grime etc... and I know for a fact that a lot of the heads have far more eclectic tastes then I, so where does that leave us? lacking a sense of self? ;)

Equating emotional states, or moods/phases of your life with particular genres of music seems a bit arbritrary IMO... Ive met thrashers with the souls of hippies, and blissed-out E-heads who'd stab you in the eye with a screwdriver for a bag of weed... as Blackdown points out, sometime the opposite can also be true...

zhao

there are no accidents
no this is pretty interesting. and I was actually going to make a similar thread.

to continue on my Marxist critical path:

the factors which determine one's musical preferences are less individual/personal, and more economic. in other words, the kind of music one likes is less telling of one's personality per se, than one's upbringing and social status.

the neighborhood you were raised and live in; the education level of your parents; the kind of kids you grew up with; what you do for a living; how much you make; and maybe most important -- how much leisure time you have

these things explain what you listen to FAR more than some nebulous romantic idea of "personality".

and under what circumstances one is able to listen is also a big one: for instance because I do graphics, I've got my head-phones on all day, every day -- the long periods of sustained listening leading to an appreciation of things like Avant Classical or Clicks'n'Cuts.

whereas if I worked with people, I would only have time for music when I'm off, and depending how annoying are the people I work with, I might use music to blow off some steam - in which case I would not have the time or patience for Micro-Sound or Minimalism.

people who have superficial relationships to music, i.e. people who listen to obvious artists on commercial radio, like what they like because it's available to them. and if given more time, they would have the chance to delve deeper.

but ofcourse it's more complex than that -- economics might not COMPLETELY explain how happy or how miserable your teenage years were. and one's neural chemical make up surely does have an effect on what you buy from Amazon.com

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
confucius said:
people who have superficial relationships to music, i.e. people who listen to obvious artists on commercial radio, like what they like because it's available to them. and if given more time, they would have the chance to delve deeper.

this is a little bit patronising.

its hard enough being a prole without some dissensian telling them they don't actually like their favourite artist - they just don't know any better.

most people would probably dislike microhouse, even if you could pick up akufen cds from walmart.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
confucius said:
the factors which determine one's musical preferences are less individual/personal, and more economic. in other words, the kind of music one likes is less telling of one's personality per se, than one's upbringing and social status.

Of course there is an economic dimension to musical taste, few would deny that.

But to attribute the causal explanation for one's harmonic and rhythmic preferences to "upbringing" and "social status" is borderline nonsense, IMHO - it's just not that simple and I see nothing to be gained by suggesting that it is.

zhao

there are no accidents
bassnation said:
this is a little bit patronising.

no, I'm actually giving people (who like Nick Carter, Ashlee Simpson, or Kenny G) more credit: they are not ACTUALLY stupid. a 60 hour work-week at a menial job (capitalism) MAKES them stupid.

will prolly get shit for this, but fuck it.

luka

although perhaps clumsily phrased i think maybe confuscious has a point in there somewhere. when i was a teenager i found a lot more time for music and got a lot more out of it, now i just want a cheap thrill.

luka

but i don't want to see my thread turn into a 'middle class people defend the proles' fest. just leave it alone!

zhao

there are no accidents
Tate said:
it's just not that simple and I see nothing to be gained by suggesting that it is.

please read last sentence of my original post.

OFCOURSE it's not that simple. Tate. but this is an important (perhaps the most important) dimension which is too often ignored in favor of the childish "personality type" theory.

which is a LOT more simplifying than my Marxist break-down.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Tate said:
it's just not that simple and I see nothing to be gained by suggesting that it is.

please read last sentence of my original post.

OFCOURSE it's not that simple. Tate. but this is an important (perhaps the most important) dimension which is too often ignored in favor of the childish "personality type" explanation.

which is a LOT more simplifying than my Marxist break-down.

luka

personality is not childish. thats a stupid university person thing to say. someone whos reads more than they observe.

but anyway, thats another issue.

bassnation

the abyss
confucius said:
no, I'm actually giving people (who like Nick Carter, Ashlee Simpson, or Kenny G) more credit: they are not ACTUALLY stupid. a 60 hour work-week at a menial job (capitalism) MAKES them stupid.

i can't believe you can generalise about a large group of people in such a cavalier way and then claim to want to better the world through marxism. if you have such a large gap of understanding with the common man, how are you going to save him?

those big name artists are popular for more reasons than just availibility. marxism is not string theory - it cannot explain and be everything to all men.

not everyone in the world wants to listen to avant classical and idm - it goes to shows how insulated dissensus is from reality that we can actually argue this point.

and as an aside, you'd be suprised how many manual labourers are deeply into music.

D

droid

bassnation said:
those big name artists are popular for more reasons than just availibility.

not everyone in the world wants to listen to avant classical and idm - it goes to shows how insulated dissensus is from reality that we can actually argue this point.

and as an aside, you'd be suprised how many manual labourers are deeply into music.

Would 'exposure' be a better word than availability? Theres a lot to be said for the point of view that one of the reasons people dont listen to non-popularised music isnt becuase they dont/cant/wont like it, but simply because they dont know it exists.

bassnation

the abyss
droid said:
Would 'exposure' be a better word than availability? Theres a lot to be said for the point of view that one of the reasons people dont listen to non-popularised music isnt becuase they dont/cant/wont like it, but simply because they dont know it exists.

i think this is dissensus indie personality coming to the fore once again.

is it impossible to believe that some listeners really do dig elton john for what he is?

Status
Not open for further replies.