the Change of Heart Thread

zhao

there are no accidents
recently I've had a total change of heart on Devendra Banhart.

and I suspect, possibly, on this whole song oriented new folk thing. without really listening, I outright dismissed the whole lot: Devendra, Sufjan Stevens, Iron and Wine, etc., on account of being fake and phony, self concious and contrived, having a preposterously pretentious posture of sincerity, etc.

but someone gave me a copy of the new Banhart album and I have to give credit where it's due. it's a pretty incredible achievement. impressive are the breadth and variety of the tunes: the folky ones sound authentic; a valiant effort at Bossa Nova; the upbeat couple of songs are fun and funny (Chinese Children made me laugh); the sad songs, some of which recall Fado (and I think they are even sung in Portuguese), are genuinely moving; and the instrumentation (strings) are well arranged. his delivery is charming and in no way leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Sufjan also has won me over some what. but I still don't like Iron and Wine.

_______
I was enamored by Radiohead for about 4 days and then threw out all of their CD's.

_______
when I first heard Boards of Cannada I thought it was boring washed out generic trip-hop shit; later realised that it's a lot stranger than that; enjoyed their music for some years; and now I'm kind of back on the original take: that it's pretty boring.

_______
3 years ago I disliked all jazz. maybe because the sound is so commercialized that I couldn't see the beauty, or maybe just the pallette is an acquired taste. the record that converted me was the first free-jazz outing of Spring Heel Jack. Evan Parker's sultry alto made an instant believer out of me. now I'm as enthusisastic about jazz as I am about techno or kraut-rock.

I went backwards chronologically with the genre: started with Evan Parker, Anthony Braxton, Mats Gustafsson, Peter Kowald, and the free stuff; to Eric Dolphy, Ornette, Trane, and Miles, the artists on the cusp; to Mingus, Monk; to Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker; all the way back to Johny Dodds and 1920s Swing, Dixieland etc. discovered so much amazing stuff on the way: Masada, Roland Kirk... and Steve Lacy. my god. I will love his music all the way to the grave.
_______
your turn.

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Belle And Sebastian

I loathed them for the longest time, thought they were twee, fey, cutesy...couldn't stand their cult of fans, either...loved the scene in High Fidelity when Jack Black rips into his sensitive indie-guy colleague for dropping their CD at the shop...then, heard Dear Catastrophe Waitress, and was hooked...immediately, irrevocably...even started hearing their older stuff differently, in a new light, like...

Last edited:

blunt

shot by both sides
Chilli Gonzales.

He was on the cover of Spex magazine about 6 years ago, dressed in a bright pink suit. Whatacunt, I thought. This was when I was enamoured with the anonymity of dance culture, and was obviously offended by the temerity of this flamboyant Canadian and what he was doing to "my" Berlin. Needless to say, I didn't even bother to actually listen to his music.

For whatever reason, I finally got around to listening to his stuff last year. Now I'm the cunt, and he's got lifelong tenure in my top 5. G-E-N-I-U-S.

blunt

shot by both sides
confucius said:
recently I've had a total change of heart on Devendra Banhart [...]

You might want to have another listen to Coco Rosie, as well, if you haven't already. Lush.

Leo

confucius said:
recently I've had a total change of heart on Devendra Banhart.

and I suspect, possibly, on this whole song oriented new folk thing. without really listening, I outright dismissed the whole lot: Devendra, Sufjan Stevens, Iron and Wine, etc., on account of being fake and phony, self concious and contrived, having a preposterously pretentious posture of sincerity, etc.

ha...same here, for all the same (dumb) reasons. then i landed a copy of the "golden apples of the sun" comp from arthur magazine and have since belatedly delved into many included on the cd (espers, vetiver, jack rose, white magic). and hilariously enough, despite it all, i too still can't connect with iron & wine AT ALL.

similarly: broadcast (totally dismissed the first two cds, now love love love "tender buttons"), most everything on fonal (initially struck me as just way too freak/twee/precious but recently bought up a half dozen releases) and...i would only admit this via an anonymous board posting ;) ...cat power! absolutely turned off by everything about her/her music/her hype, etc. for years, then the misses recently bought "the greatest" and...it's pretty good.

zhao

there are no accidents
and I avoided Blonde Redhead for years just because of the name! ha!

(it gave me an image of them as a band that would guest on the show Friends)

bassnation

the abyss
blunt said:
Chilli Gonzales.

He was on the cover of Spex magazine about 6 years ago, dressed in a bright pink suit. Whatacunt, I thought. This was when I was enamoured with the anonymity of dance culture, and was obviously offended by the temerity of this flamboyant Canadian and what he was doing to "my" Berlin. Needless to say, I didn't even bother to actually listen to his music.

For whatever reason, I finally got around to listening to his stuff last year. Now I'm the cunt, and he's got lifelong tenure in my top 5. G-E-N-I-U-S.

i've had that in reverse with chilli gonzales - loved it initially but the humour wore thin very quickly. plus electroclash is still massive everywhere - i'm pining for the anonymity again. and less fucking undertones records in clubs.

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
confucius said:
and I avoided Blonde Redhead for years just because of the name! ha!

(it gave me an image of them as a band that would guest on the show Friends)
many is the band I've avoided simply because of their rotten name...one in particular, Jazzanova, I found I liked very much when I finally heard them...another, Breakestra, I haven't heard, but I can't imagine they'd be any good...more fool me?

zhao

there are no accidents
jazzanova is terrible though IMO. and Breakestra is not much better.

know whats funny?

REMOVED FOR FEAR OF MISINTERPRETATION AND OFFENDING THE SENSITIVE DISPOSITIONS OF SOME BOARD MEMBERS.

i promise to crack down on provocative posts and install a strict censorship program. your help is appreciated.

Last edited:

dominic

Beast of Burden
confucius said:
jazzanova is terrible

they've done a lot of records, and i can't claim to have heard more than a hanfdul . . . .

but i'd have to say i rate them fairly highly

especially their remix of "watch them come!" by men from the nile aka roy davis, jr

i can see why dissensus people would, in general, not like jazzanova -- but you're fighting yesterday's battles

ultimately, you've got to give jazzanova props for pushing the 4hero/detroit sound forward

Don Rosco

Radiohead - I heard 'Creep' and I thought, what a bunch of whining dickheads, typical indie foppish student cunts.

Then I saw yer man do a little ident thing on MTV or some such channel. He basically looked at the camera and said something along the lines of:

'The most fundamentally important thing in life is to establish heartfelt communication with your fellow man'

And I thought, by jove, he's right!

I still don't really like them that much, I mean, I would never buy / stick on a radiohead record, but I have mad respect for them, no doubt.

bassnation

the abyss
dominic said:
ultimately, you've got to give jazzanova props for pushing the 4hero/detroit sound forward

i hate myself for falling into this trap but every time i hear the word "jazzanova" a red mist descends and i find myself typing messages i'll later regret, so i'll keep it brief:

moving forward != stomach churningly vapid jazz lite of the ilk that gets played in malls. i'd rather listen to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard.

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
bassnation said:
moving forward != stomach churningly vapid jazz lite of the ilk that gets played in malls.
what do you have against malls?...I challenge you to get a decent aqua massage anywhere else!...(besides, I would think that with your George Romero zombie image, you'd be more be more pro-mall)...

zhao

there are no accidents
bassnation said:
moving forward != stomach churningly vapid jazz lite of the ilk that gets played in malls. i'd rather listen to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard.

thankyou for so eloquently expressing my sentiments regarding this issue with such precision. bravo.

shykitten

peek-a-boo
i am also just starting to get into Radiohead, but i think its due to a change on their part rather than mine: 'Creep' is one of those horrible songs which i can hardly even bear to think about, let alone hear. i got the impression it was something they were trying to shake off too, and upon hearing their 'later stuff' i think by an act of forced amnesia they have managed it. it is always interesting to hear a mainstream group trying to play against their past popularity rather than endlessly re-create it.

i think my biggest change of heart has been with the Sex Pistols, who i used to think, a bit snobbishly, were entertaining as a media spectacle but musically just a pub rock act/boy band, nowhere near as radical as Throbbing Gristle or Cabaret Voltaire in terms of destroying pop/rock with technology, or as good as the guitar/bass/drums post-punk stuff that came after them, Joy Division, Banshees etc. then one day i just had to get Never Mind The Bollocks and revel in it as a trashy pop album. i also started to like Lydon's voice instead of be irritated by it.

confucius said:
know whats funny? we all do this changing from day to day thing, where one day we love something and another day we hate it, and it's as it should be. but girls are the worst. sometimes it seems like they have no objective points of reference whatsoever! and everything depends on how they feel AT THAT MOMENT. it's very funny and very cute.

Alright. Time to come clean -

Just who is employing Confucius to disseminate these seemingly f-ing endless ingots of unreason? It simply isn't possible for one person to be so systematically irritating on every single topic in the entire universe. Something suspicious is afoot....

I suspect the involvement of at least the Illuminati, Mossad, Dan Brown, the Freemasons, the real people behind 9/11 and Stewart Home.

At the very least he's a front for disgruntled ILM-ers, jealous of the supreme brilliance and eternal beauty of Dissensus....

zhao

there are no accidents
and Infinite Thought is Captain of the Internet-Political-Correctness-Patrol.

I promise to share less of my light-hearted jokes and observations with this board in the future.

please don't arrest me! I don't wanna go to jail!!!

shudder

Sigur Ros. Used to worship them (my third big band love). Have trouble hearing them when they're played down the hall now...

Opera. Used to not get it at all. Then I studied Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande in a music class, and was instantly converted! Any other Dissensians like Opera?? (or other non-contemporary/avant "classical" music? I mean, I like the avant shit too, but I'm going crazy right now over this recording of handel arias...)

Tim F

Jazzanova's remix of MJ Cole's "Sincere" is a thing of beauty... but yeah the name makes them very hard to take seriously!