11. Kano 'Boys Love Girls'
12. Target 'Steamrolla (Feat Roll Deep Freestyle)'
13. More Fire Crew 'Oi!'
14. Roll Deep 'Roll Deep Regular'
15. Tinchy Strider 'Underground'
16. Trim 'Boogeyman'
17. Wiley 'Wot U Call It?'
18. Stush 'Dollar Sign'

So this is the tracklisting of Roll Deep´s mixcd ´Grimey Vol 1´ (I got off Fiddy´s blog).
Cheap license with a bit of fame songs or best collection of grime classics?

S

simon silverdollar

i think it's what grime has been crying out for: a widely available collection of the some of the biggest and best tracks so that people who aren't grime fans (yet) can easily see what all the fuss is about, wiithout having to wade through half-baked and disappointing grime studio albums, or pirate sets (which are definitely an acquired taste).

there's no shortage of grime mixtapes that cover the cutting edge: what's needed is a good introduction to grime, to get people into it.

boomnoise

♫
it doesn't work for my ears. but as you say simon, a nice starting point. i think there could have been a better selection than this for that purpose.

gumdrops

i think this is definitely the grime induction comp the genre sorely needs - its got pretty much all the essential vocal tracks on there, but its not mixed or sequenced in a particularly interesting way. its pretty lazy really - it might as well have just been a standard unmixed comp. plus, the freestyles are sadly pretty lame. roll deep sound half asleep.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
better late than never I guess but I've been listening to most of these for years. I really hope it gets to the stage where tracks start making it to comps faster. what the f*ck happened to lady stush anyway? That was such a great track & her vocals were so cute.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah harry toddler's 'donkey kick' should be on there.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Tim F said:
This has been released in Australia! Somewhat amazingly.

Really? Where did you see it?

Although, my firend's fairly mainstream hip hop show on PBS got sent a promo of the roll deep album.

Tim F

Yeah the Roll Deep album was promo'd but I think the record company got cold feet or something.

Grimey vol 1 is being distributed through DMC, who do a lot of the big dance releases like the Fabric mixes.

dsp13 said:
what the f*ck happened to lady stush anyway? That was such a great track & her vocals were so cute.

well the unsubstantiated rumour i heard was that she got offered a deal with a major, the producer ran off with all the money and it's been legal hassles ever since....
but that's only gossip!

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
Edward said:
well the unsubstantiated rumour i heard was that she got offered a deal with a major, the producer ran off with all the money and it's been legal hassles ever since....
but that's only gossip!
if it's true that's terrible! /( ,- _ -, )\

Fiddy

Edward said:
but that's only gossip!

officially she's still signed to Go Beat, think she and Gabrielle wer only ones on the rosta they kept when label folded, More Fire got dropped etc... album is meant to be finished and heard a few good bits, produced by Sticky I think, which we unfortunately couldn't get on RTR2 because nobody seems to know what's happening with it.

as for the DMC comp, think the distribution is worldwide.