new isht... what's got you excited in music lately?

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
What's got your head nodding / toes tappin' / mind blowing / jeep bouncing / pelvis thrusting etc in music lately... any releases coming up you're waiting on with baited breath? anything you've picked up lately (new or old) that's really doing it for you at the moment?

Personally I'm mildly excited about the RAZOR X "KILLING SOUND" comp on rephlex allthough I wish they didn't sit on it for a f*&king year and a half and it's not the kind of stuff I'll listen to everyday.

I'm also keen to pick up Madlib's 2nd BEAT KONDUCTA LP because the first one was great. Still haven't got a copy of DILLA's "DONUTS" LP either cos the vinyl still hasn't made it to my local stores yet. I wanna hear that GENERAL MALICE LP that's dropping on N2O.

I came accross these releases on a new label started by turntablist/musician RICCI RUCKER that have got me really curious... OH NO / KRS ONE - BOOGIE DOWN OX and OH NO / EXILE / RICCI RUCKER - OPERA EXTINCT (no it's not the exile guy releasing on planet mu). They're reworkings of BOOGIE DOWN BRONX & PLANET ROCK (or at least draw samples from them).

Lately I haven't been buying or downloading much because I'm inbetween jobs and I've only got dialup internet but I've been digging TAXI FARE on the BADDIS RIDDIM (and most of the rest of VP's STRICTLY THE BEST VOL ? comp) and a bunch of great mix cd's I picked up in Japan. Apart from that I've been going throught the 200- 300 cds & lps that I've just been re-united with after a year and a half.

What about you????

oshiette kudasai... saikin omoshiroi ongaku threads ga nai kara.
(teach/tell me please... because lately the threads in music have been boring me)

S

simon silverdollar

after the mix that was up at 'stypod', i'm a recent convert to the Mountain Goats: i can feel a bit of an obsession coming on, in fact.

in a way, it's quite ugly music: really nasal voice, manic acoustic guitar strumming, but it's so heartfelt and desperate that I can't stop sticking it on. and the lyrics are pretty incredible in places.

john eden

male pale and stale
dsp13 said:
YO Y'AVE A LICENSE TO TYPE DIS?
:eek:

IT NAME BAD MAN FORWARD BAD MAN PULL UP

stelfox

Beast of Burden
a few things i like right now...

1) da dummy by e-40 - great stuff from oakland veteran mc: crunk + ecstasy + a few thousand miles = a good thing
2) southern man by bavu blakes. one of the best freestyle rappers i've ever seen does a great version of the neil young classic.
3) pretty much everything i'm hearing by keak da sneak - growliest voice ever.
4) kwaito! kwasa kwasa by all stars, roba letheka by ishmael especially
5) riko's bars on the alligator riddim on lord of the decks 3,
6) beenie man's come again on donovan bennett's sweat riddim (real sick fast-chat stuff with a blistering opening scat)
7) vybzy versa love feat barrington levy off the new kartel album
8) k-swift club queen volume 6: the jump off (especially one track called hornz joint)

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
BAD MAN PULL UP
BAD MAN PULL UP
BAD MAN PULL UP

WATCH DING A DO DI BAD MAN PULL UP
BAD MAN FORWARD BAD MAN PULL UP
YOU TINK IT SCRATCH NO IT NUH SCRATCH

errrr....

The new Sizzla on his own label is quite good, as is the new riddim on Jukeboxxx (TOK and Chuck Fender cuts).

That riddim that sounds like Hot Milk with Bushman "Living Inside Yourself" is also good.

Mad Professor dub album is reviewed at uncarved.

Oh yeah and there's a big tune out by this guy called Ding Dong, but I can't remember what it's called?!

zhao

there are no accidents
recently heard a compilation called "German Stars 16 - German Dancehall", which had some very good tracks. a little bit of the "altered", dark and electronic quasi industrial sound of Bug/Cutty, and mostly reverent versions of jaimaican dancehall, with convincing rap in German. artists like Backyard Crew, D Flame, etc. does anyone know more about this scene and perhaps have recommendations?

milkandhoney

i'm looking forward to
count bass d - act your waste size
new albums by dizzee, newham generals and skepta..duno what theyre called

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
confucius said:
...German Dancehall...anyone know more about this scene and perhaps have recommendations?
I know that it's BIG even at the pop chart / mtv level & has been for years but as artists go the only one I know of is SEED. Does anyone know if they ever released a version/instrumental of the riddim from that "dickes b" track ? It's a little crazy but it's so damn phat!

thanks peeps... lots of great recommendations in here. Sh*t... just the mention of a new Dizzee album gets me all excited. :eek:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'm having a sort of break-with-the-new retro rummage around at the moment which is taking in the likes of Fad Gadget, Le Orme, Red Crayola, The Lilys, Tones on Tails, Death in June, Beat Happening, The Motels, The Left Banke, Exuma, Kim Fowley, The Legendary Pink Dots, Television Personalities, Bianca, The Go-Gos, Pearls Before Swine, Wendy Carlos, Bruce Haak, Slapp Happy, and The Germs.

It's an interesting place and I've been taken here by Ariel Pink (via his myspace-stated influences)

henry s

Street Fighting Man
speaking of retro rummages, the Rev-Ola label is on a minor roll right now...recent weeks have seen the likes of Nancy Priddy, Evie Sands, Edu Lobo and Claudine Longet insinuate themselves into my headspace, and the new John Jacob Niles thing looks pretty fetching, too...

carlos

manos de piedra
been buying a lot of contemporary roots reggae (thanks mostly to uncarved blog, riddim mag and the blood & fire forum) - mostly full albums on cd. the vp one drop comp, lutan fyah, fantan mojah, natty king, and the "calling all jah children" mix cd on lustre kings

i had not really paid any attention to contemporary roots reggae- but i'm frantically delving into it now

mms

sometimes
here are my white male i.d.m / techno loving, born yesterday - listening habits this month ..

really enjoying stuff from the fonal label from finland - esp PAAVOHARJU - YHA HAMARAA which is stunning and strange off world cabin fever enduced pychedelia

also enjoying that monoton produkt 07 cd that matt repped

an album from a guy called greg malcom with solo guitar and strange homemade droning effects boxes called swimming in it , strangley close to arthur russell in alot of ways ..

umm aids wolf and also the social registry label...

thomas mapfuso album with the hut on the front, and 'india' from john coltranes impressions album which is a mental piece of music i find myself listening to every night lately

kieran hebden and steve reid - exchange sessions album which is great..better than four tet , henry flynt - purified by fire (which has just has a re-release)

uffie - pop the gloc - kinda post windowlicker cyborg pop produced by mr oizo and feadz on bright pink vinyl ...and the o series of early sahko 12"s by mika vanio - and the last vvv album ressurection river..
the villalobos r and s mixes and the luciano salif keta mixes..

the sound of l.a. offbeat synthy hip hop comps *sa ra are on them on plug research....

i also got a copy of saul bass's only film phase 4 *with soundtrack by david vorhaus off ebay which pleases me immensely ...

kinda slightly different month from normal listening wise..

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Very excited about Uusitalo - Tulenkantaja, the new Vlad Delay... his last one The Four Quarters flipped my noodle inside out... totally reconfigured how i think about sound. Like getting a new set of ears.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
BUSY SIGNAL! On stepout or almost any of his recent tunes.

Japan by Plasticman

Morbid by Footsie.

Murkle Man Remix w. Dee and Dizzee

jd_

mms said:
i also got a copy of saul bass's only film phase 4 *with soundtrack by david vorhaus off ebay which pleases me immensely ...

kinda slightly different month from normal listening wise..

Ah yeah Phase IV! I can't ever get tired of the man vs. ant scene where he's just smashing through all the shelves trying to crush it. There's nothing like it really. It might not even be good, but it just really went as far down a kind of alien path as I can imagine you going. I never even noticed the music before though to be honest, in my mind it's just ant legs rubbing against each other and little feelers buzzing.

To answer the thread question though I think SebastiAn's really awesome and I just found this R&B singer called Black Buddafly I'm really into.

zhao

there are no accidents
new Ryoji Ikeda album out. I look calm but I'm jumping up and down and screaming like a 14 year old girl inside.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
mms said:
...uffie - pop the gloc - kinda post windowlicker cyborg pop produced by mr oizo and feadz on bright pink vinyl .....
ooh ooh ooh!!!! I gotta hear this!!! I love mr oizo.. but what are your thoughts on the "moustache half a scissor" or whatever it was called? I listened to it quickly in a record store and it didn't appeal to me at all but I got the feeling it might be a grower... anyone given this a good listen?