Kidulthood

boomnoise

♫
The premise is an interesting one and on paper at least, sounds like this is a film worth seeing and an interesting account of 'the grime generation'. I'm sure it will have some shortcomings but i reckon a film like this is an important landmark for british cinema.

There seems to be a recent slew of film documenting what life is like for london kids today with Bullet Boy, Dubplate Drama and now this. I'm pleased that somekind of voice is emerging; surely a good thing.

Can't really comment before i've seen it but will be an interesting one to discuss once people have.

Piece from G2 today: http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1720344,00.html

http://www.kidulthood.co.uk/

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
There was a bonkers "moral panic" piece about Kidulthood on Newsnight last night.

Is it glorifying teenage violence blah de blah. They had some worth liberal from the Barrow Cadbury Trust on there going on about how similar films like Cathy Come Home were bleak and all that but they were better because they put it in context and proposed solutions to the problems etc.

Conveniently sidestepping the fact that most of the films she cited were completely weighed down by their middle class do-gooding social work agenda. As if it was up to film makers to solve all the world's evils....

It looked alright from what I saw. No idea about any of this stuff but there was what sounded like some Grimey stuff on the soundtrack as well. Possibly one to rent and not splash out on at the cinema tho, I dunno.

Bullet Boy I really liked when I saw it on DVD a few months ago. Eastside! :cool:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Just saw it today, the dialogue is amazing, cinematography great, it's all too obvious what it's flaws are, but I loved it, I thought it was surprisingly hard and very, very funny. Best depiction of teenage girls I've seen in a film for a long time as well, since maybe 'Out Of The Blue', I'd be well happy if I'd been involved with it.

saw it tonight at the holloway rd odeon.
the saddest thing i've seen in years.
I mean it was really good but just such a downer.
the combination of bad luck/bad decisions/badminded people.
all the characters were idiots and yet nearly all of them were sympathetic too apart from a few out-and-out baddies.
we walked back to the tube in silence!

additionally: yeah I was an idiot when i was 16 too and i still am sometimes.