The Burroughs Archive

D

droid

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/01/books/01beats.html

The Burroughs archive contains 11,000 pages of manuscript and typescript material, including draft versions and notes for virtually all of Burroughs's works through 1972, said Isaac Gewirtz, curator of the Berg Collection. Most of the material in the archive from the 1960's and 70's has never been seen, except by Burroughs and his contemporaries.

In addition, the archive includes typescripts and manuscripts for numerous unpublished works, which Burroughs organized by date or subject matter or whim into numbered folios, or folders; some 3,000 pages of highly personal literary and artistic correspondence, collages, dream calendars, diaries, notebooks, more than 50 hours of unreleased tape recordings and hundreds of photographs by and of Burroughs, who died in 1997.

"This archive has really achieved legendary status among people who follow the Beat writers," Mr. Gewirtz said in an interview in the stately reading room that serves as home to the Berg Collection at the library's landmark building on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.

"Of the tens of thousands of pages, only literally a handful have ever been seen, and only a very few quoted from," he said.

:eek: Tantalising....

polystyle

'kick that habit , man'

Yea, saw this in the Times too ...
Too bad he's no longer around to enjoy the bread
Burroughs forever in my book .

Last time i was at Steinski's place he was talking about tapes he has of WM . B
and we began discussing their use.
Hmm, should get bk on it !

zhao

there are no accidents
much respect for uncle bill, one of the most important voices of dissent, ever. but honestly, how much of these 11,000 pages do you think is readable, much less coherent? I know incoherency is kind of the point but... the prospect of wading through piles and piles of feverish, confused verses born of a heroin addled imagination is a bit daunting.

I confess: could not get through Naked Lunch. my favorite of his works are the earlier ones - Junkie, Queer, etc. the Western Lands and the other 2 in the trilogy are exceptions - truly hallucinatory.

would be interested in seeing more of the collage works he did with Byson though.

D

droid

Read 'cities of the red night'. Mindblowing comic book necro-sci-fi... :eek: