Kode 9 - Fukkaz

tryptych

waiting for a time
Good post on blackdown about the new Kode 9 here, but he only touches on the fact that it's available for download only, which as far as I know is a first for any major dubstep player (correct me if I'm wrong).

Does this mean we're going to start seeing laptops at dubstep nights? Maybe there already are, as my experience is rather limited, but I get the impression that the culture leans heavily towards dubplates and vinyl for the quality of its sound.

Would it be a good thing if more dubstep (and grime) artists did mp3 only releases, with dubplates for DJs, or would it increase the difference between Djs and punters? i.e. anyone can download the track to listen, but only certain DJs can get hold of dubplates, and given that laptops/mp3s are looked down upon, prohibit the punters from making the jump to DJs?

tryptych

waiting for a time
^ Do DJs play cds a lot at dubstep nights? I've obviously seen it a lot in the past with dnb DJs playing dubs on cd.

Also, I'd say there's more of a prejudice against laptops/mp3s than cds in general (this thread) because of perceived lower sound quality and the lack of "live" component with laptops - at least CDJs require a degree of hands on mixing (obviously the same goes for final scratch).

And the "new" bit of it was more the fact that its download only.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
Paul Hotflush said:
Yes they do.

We did a download only release last year.

was that the ep with "like sun" on it? i bought the mp3 of that, but i can't remember whether it was via karmadownloads or bleep.

wicked tune paul, its got a lot of plays from me. its like jungle filtered through dubstep.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
I don't mind the music being available as mp3, the problem I take with it is kids downloading vinyl rips to use on final scratch.

1.Being in the states it can be hard to or expensive to get 12's

2.really the sound quality is 10 times better when u go digital. Yeh u might lose some of the "richness" of vinyl but u don't have to worry about ur cd wearing out after multiple plays.

I currently use a denon dns5000 with my setup.

Last edited:

tryptych

waiting for a time
Paul Hotflush said:
Yes they do.

We did a download only release last year.

Oh ok then... so can I ask what made you choose to do download only? And would you do it for more releases?

nomos

Administrator
@ Spackboy - I did an interview with Paul a few months back where we talked a bit about this. You can see it here if you like :)

polystyle

Sonics > into the future

Appreciated Blackdown's columns and that link , thanks for those
Kode 9 seems hungry to keep trying stuff that's new ,
found the beats & musik fresh ,
the comments about tonality welcome , glad to see /hear someone thinking about the actual sound
and if Kode wants to make it a download , great !
More power to ya Kode - & Space Ape