Tibetan Music

O

Omaar

Heard some fantastic music around the Zhongdian area, Litang, in northern Yunnan, western Sichuan in China, especially impressed by the pop side of things.

Anyone know anything at all about this sort of stuff?

zhao

there are no accidents
read that rock music was kind of big there... know nothing.

only know about the Bells and Chants.

when were you there?

are we talking pop which is somewhat akin to Sumatra, Indonesian or Thai Pop? current or 60s/70s?/80s?

curiously...

mms

sometimes
Omaar said:
Heard some fantastic music around the Zhongdian area, Litang, in northern Yunnan, western Sichuan in China, especially impressed by the pop side of things.

Anyone know anything at all about this sort of stuff?

subrosa re-released some buddhist and bhutanesse folk and buddhist monk rites cds recorded from the 70's - they're amazing
if that helps at all ..

polystyle

hey Omarr ,
sounds like a real trip man.

Could you tell if the music was Tibetan or Chinese ?
i would guess if it was playing in stores , restaurants was prolly the latter,
but for all i know you could be talking about a gig you went to , or ...

When I was in Asia hearing the mix of stuff from taxi's , TV's in Stores, etc. was often a heady mix
of Indian music and other stuff .
I hope what you heard was Tibetan !
Cheers

O

Omaar

Thanks for the tips people.

The Music was definitely Tibetan rather than Chinese, and was contemporary but may have been recordings of traditional songs.

We heard it in the evenings in a few ethnic tibetan towns, people would form these massive dance circles in the town square and perform specfic dances in a circle to particular songs, so I guess that would suggest that these are folk songs, but rerecorded recently. They sounded wicked on huge crusty PA. And it seemed mostly authentic rather than just a staged tourist event.

I have a video clip of one of these circles so I'll see if I can edit it down a bit and upload it somewhere. Also have a CD I got in Zhongdian so I'll have another listen to that and upload anything that's particularly interesting.

O

Omaar

Just got thinking about some Taoist music I heard playing at the Divine Music Administration (!!) Music Musuem at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing, which was fairly minimal and quite incredible, stuff used in Imperial rituals. Anyone know anything about this sort of stuff? Those massive stone bells are amazing. I think there was one on display at the three emperors exhibition at the RA in London at the moment.