Gender Wars

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I wasnt gonna call this thread that, until I saw the genre wars, thought it would be witty.

What prompted this is the following blog article:

http://savemanny.blogspot.com/2005/12/sexiest-female-djs-in-world.html

Now, I cant say that this sort of mentality is holding female djs back, because I think this sort of thing would happen in any field or area of interest. I can almost blame them for not including people like Dj Rap, or Sage (one of my favorites for musical style and looks) since every single one of these djs has at least pictures of them half naked (all but one with them on her website).

But like I said, I think this is a natural occurrence, perpetuated by social values, and quite possibly the very urge to reproduce that keeps humanity alive and overpopulated.

So, do other people think this sort of crass debasement of djing is inevitable? and if so, does it matter, especially if its pervasive everywhere?

women nowadays are more prevalent in dj culture than ever, but for every one that has mastered her skills, put her time in at small clubs and underground parties, there is one that is willing to take off her top and mix cheesey house or hip hop and get paid big bucks for it. Djing, after all, is now a capitalist thing.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
hail

most of the time you can't even see the DJ anyway so whether they're a fit woman or not is totally beside the point, and to be honest to see them so blatantly trading off their looks makes me assume they are rubbish DJs.

polystyle

The comments on 'Manny's site told the story there ,
guys just wanna pile on all the woman DJ's who they think are hot ,
and so well, it takes all kinds doesn't it ?

Manny , did I miss the feature on 'Topless weather people' ?

Nothing really to say about the gender part of these 'wars' ,
but this topic did remind of the silly cover story the Village Voice had the other week on 'Superstar DJ's' .
Now it's one thing to call attention to a DJ because they are actually good and doing something interesting
with the music that spin be they female or 'Superstar' ,
another to call people like bass player from Interpol a 'superstar' and 'the first star DJ'
(hey, in someone's mind maybe ... ) -
then have 'Princess Superstar' draped across the cover in her revealing costume (looking airbrushed acceptable for the male demo) .
The currency is being devaluated