Guantanamo Transcripts

O

Omaar

Cheers Sufi, looks interesting.

I thought this was pretty strange:

UK police detain actors playing al-Qaeda suspects

FOUR actors who play al-Qaeda suspects in a British movie were detained by police at Luton airport as they returned from the Berlin Film Festival and questioned under anti-terror laws, along with two of the former terrorism suspects they play on screen.

They were returning last Thursday after the premiere of The Road to Guantanamo, which depicts the life of three men from Tipton, in England's West Midlands, who go to Afghanistan and end up being held for two years by the US at its military base on Cuba before being released without charge.

sufi

lala
the film was on c4 tonight. it was quite good & seems to concur with those transcripts.
i saw michael winterbottom's film about the asylum seeker kid, which was good also. sometimes hard to know which is 'reconstruction' & which is footage,
the statistic at the end was 750 souls have been detained at guantanamo, maybe 500 still there, so far only 10 charged & nobody found guilty.

bruno

est malade
thank you, sufi. i picked a random document (are all u.s government servers this slow?), skimmed through the first few pages and the human dimension comes to life so vividly. this detainee is being questioned by an 'administrative review board'. he was 16 when taken to guantanamo. 16. on the death of his brother:

Detainee: Death is something that is given to us but hurts so much because he was taken away by force.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Crazy stuff. There's one transcript where the interrogators claim that what is happening is merely an 'administrative' procedure, and therefore no right exists to have a lawyer present at what is clearly an interrogation.