Listening to music survey (when, where , for how long and how)

bun-u

Trumpet Police
When in the day/week do you get the chance to listen to music?

Where and how do you listen to music (for instance do you banish yourself to the bedroom/spare room and listen with headphones or do you share your listening with others in the living room on the family hifi)!?

I listen on a portable music player* on my journey and from work (= 5 hours per week)

I listen from my computer (radio or my own) while interwebbing each evening in the study (say 3 hours a week)

Will probably have a few (loud) headphone to record player moments in the living room (1 hour)

A bath is usually accompanied by radio or cd (1 hour**)

Occasionally go out to hear live music / DJ (3 hours)

Will watch music-stuff on the box (1 hour)

Weekend listening in the living room with others (2 hours)

Total average listening time per week = 16 hours (10% of the week)

Of that, 10 hours (63%) is listened to on my own, with travelling to work by far the most common listening time (31%)

*ok dammit, it's an ipod
** I also shower

shudder

good idea for a post!

I basically only listen in front of my computer, or when I'm in my room in general, which is a mighty large bit of time each week..

I was wondering tho: with computers and whatnot, how many still listen on proper stereo systems? I read an article in a canadian paper about how the sales of stereos components have been tanking in the last few years at the hands of (1)home theatres and (2)portable music listening.. the guy was almost deriding living room listening as an antiquated thing of the past. so, who's got nice stereos? :)

sufi

lala
make it a poll?
what are the options?

something like:
  • home computer
  • stereo
  • workplace
  • mp3 playa
  • live band
  • live dj
  • on the crapper

zhao

there are no accidents
while working in front of computer - 30+ hours/week.
driving - 5+ hours/week
with friends while having a brew or smoke - 2+ hours/week
with lady friends while cooking or eating or, um, playing hide and seek - 3+ hours/week
while cleaning the apartment and doing various chores - 4 hours/week

so that's around 45+ hours a week.

what I listen to is very different during these activities - while working it's usually on the steady but mellow side, and while driving I play a lot of beats and sometimes aggressive music.

I like silence while I read. and also, when I was younger used to love falling asleep to music, but not anymore. for some reason.

I don't sit down and focus on music-listening as its own activity very much these days... just so busy all the time. and records which demand undivided attention don't get played much at all... a shame, really.

luka

i certainly don't listen every day. maybe in total, 3 hours a week, usually when i'm cooking, sometimes when i'm at work i'll put the radio on. i don't use walkmans or ipods and i don't download or anything.

dominic

Beast of Burden
most music i hear out at night, either djs or bands

and then occasionally i'll play stuff at home on my turntable

i go through phases where i'll listen to mp3's on various internet sites, but i never download stuff

and like luka, i don't have an ipod or walkman

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I listen to music almost entirely on my ipod or in my car. I listen on my ipod on the way too and from work and in the car on th weekends and evenings. Probably about ... 6-10 hours a week these days.

Sometimes I listen to music on the stereo but usually when my partner is out. I make it out at night pretty much never.

D7_bohs

mostly records on a turntable - sometimes CDs - and i try and sit and listen rather than do other stuff (maybe an hour a day) Can't listen to music and work anymore - less brainpower as i get older. Otherwise radio in the car which can be up to 10 hours a week, I guess. Hated walkmans and so have never gotten around to an ipod/ zen; have downloaded stuff, but i guess I'm hard wired to not really having ownership of something until I own it on a piece of vinyl. Almost never get out to live music as recreation anymore, but I work part- time in the live music area, so i hear a load of bands I don't even want to hear - sat 5-10 hours a week.

re. the question of ipod/ computer v. real stereo - have been talking to people a lot about this and reckon the home stereo is going the way of the piano in the parlour - which means most people are listening to stuff as crappy MP3 s on crappy headphones or as ringtones or something.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
downloads, yes til my pc is full up, never pay for music in fact,
apart from going out, couple of times a month, live music, sufis,
i-pod since just last few months, already up to 20gb, i lost my minidisc 18 months previously & was without personal stereo for that time, wish i-pod could work in the bath
sometimes get the computer plugged into the stereo if the dog don't chew the cable

current ringtone: scientist - dematerialize :)

Rambler

Awanturnik
Each week:

Through computer headphones while working : 25+ hours

Radio/stereo with breakfast/lunch/cooking : 7-10 hours

Weekends/evenings in living room : 7 hours

Live music : an hour or two a week

Minimum: 40 hours a week, or 23%. Actually time spent properly listening, maybe a quarter of that, tops.

D

droid

Formats: Vinyl/CDs/Mp3 player/Computer/tape(!)/minidisc/Radio/DAT...

4 or so hours a day travelling and walking about.

2 hours a day on phones in work.

An hour a day on radio or Hifi

1-4 hours a night in the studio depending if Im working on something

Maybe 12 hours each weekend with a combination of the above - and the odd gig.

60 hours a week on average?

owen

when at home (which is often, seeing as i subsist on YOUR TAXES), i listen to music pretty much constantly, unless i'm reading a particularly complicated book or watching a film (and loudly, as anyone with the misfortune to ring my doorbell can testify)
this is usually from lent cd player, vinyl or tape, and i listen to resonance when cooking. used to listen to the pirates but now (heresy!) really can't be arsed
don't have an ipod or a (functioning) walkman, as i have a vague fear of being run over from concentrating on music rather than the wanker speeding round the corner from creek rd.

Last edited:

Leo

i work from home, so music is on most of the day...if not cds, then wfmu. also tend to do some listening in the evening if the misses is otherwise distracted, and occasionally while outdoors on the discman (no iPod).

in defense of stereo systems: just got a new pair of relatively high-end speakers and i have to say they make for a whole new experience. i think i've been getting into lots of fonal/fahey/jack rose/neo-folkie stuff (espers, vetiver) lately simply because the acoustic guitars sound so great on a proper system with good speakers. of course, i also use it to enjoy my fair share of noisy low-fi wolf eyes/japather/magik markers/a-frames, etc.

owen said:
heheh! no, i'm borrowing it alas

glad you've remembered!

About two years ago, after a very sad thing happened, I listened to Masses, Passions & Requiems for about 8-10 hours a day, and completely stopped listening to any new music whatsoever.

Now I listen to Laibach/noise/Avril Lavigne(!)/Kate Bush/electronic stuff about 20 hours a week, Radio 3 for about 15 hours a week, Ultravox and Pet Shop Boys on the walkman whenever I have to go to the supermarket. And of course the odd mass, passion and requiem - esp. Penderecki and Bach.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I know ipods get bad press around here, but I probably had ipod-listening habits years back, where I used first buy albums, singles, nick stuff off the radio and then put the best bits onto a C90 to listen to. I do the same now with an ipod but its much less labour-intensive.

D

droid

bun-u said:
I know ipods get bad press around here, but I probably had ipod-listening habits years back, where I used first buy albums, singles, nick stuff off the radio and then put the best bits onto a C90 to listen to. I do the same now with an ipod but its much less labour-intensive.

Exactly! I used to take my new vinyl, and painstakingly record it all onto tape, so i could listen to it whilst out and about... And those cooler-than-thou-I-pod-hating-muso-journalist-types ;) who ask questions like: 'who needs to carry around 500 hours of music at one time anyway?' - obviously dont listen to enough music....

gabriel

The Heatwave
droid said:
Exactly! I used to take my new vinyl, and painstakingly record it all onto tape, so i could listen to it whilst out and about...

i still do that! good to have tapes for the car, and good to make sure every new bit of vinyl (whether bought, given or found) gets listened to properly...

anyway my habits...

- tapes/pirate radio in my car
- occasionally minidisc on long trips, also just got an mp3 player (iaudio) so might use that sometimes as well
- radio 4 in the morning
- radio/cds in the kitchen
- cds/music off computer in the front room
- music off computer (through stereo though - hate those little speakers) while working at home, nothing when working at my other job, occasionally choice fm if my boss is out
- don't really ever listen to vinyl, just use it for djing

realise reading this that i very very rarely, if ever, just sit down to listen to music, i'm always doing something else really. don't like really like reading with music on thuogh, unless either the music of what i'm reading is very pappy. i've almost always got music on in one or more of my bedroom, the kitchen, the front room, often really loud. i wonder sometimes if my 3 housemates get annoyed, but they never say anything. lol

Last edited:

turtles

in the sea
Computer definitely my primary place of listening, whilst working and bumming about the internet (40+ hours a week combined, at least. If I wasn't stuck on a shite unix machine at school it would probably be way more). I download a ton. Basically everything I listen to is mediated by the internet in some way, I either downloaded it or at least read about it online.

Do also manage a bit of cd and vinyl listening on the stereo, usually while reading or generally relaxing (maybe 1 hour a day).

Have a discman i listen to occaisionally to/from school plus generally walking about, 2-3 hours a week.

Listening with friends in various circumstances, maybe another 2-3 hours a week.

Yeah, pretty much if I'm at home doing anything other than watching TV I'm listening to music, but if I'm out of the house not so much.