House remixes of popular hip-hop tracks

DavidD

can't be stopped
I'm from the states first of all, so I donno they might be passe or overdone or gimmicky to you house-heads across the pond but I cannot get enough of the Sir Piers remix of Jay-Z's "Me and My Girlfriend" which I guess is crossed w/ Summerheadz or something like that. I never much liked the original single, which is part of it, but this thing is great anyway....

do you guys know of any other good ones, or do they usually come across as forced and hokey?

Backjob

It's not got a good pedigree. House and Hip Hop haven't tended to mix all that well. Tru Playaz used to do some nice jungle remixes of hip hop around 96 or so, and there are some good 4beat garage hip hop remixes, but straight up house, I'm not sure about.

Recently stuff I can think of was that garage mix of "My neck my back" and the 4x4 mix of "Cop dat shit".

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
Anyone heard that DJ Ayres Hip House mix that Turntablelab are selling? I'm kind of intrigued by it but wary... Speaking of them, they often seem to have a few hip house rmx white labels kicking around -I'd check some of them out . I know there was a bit of a buzz about Yam Who and his remixes - I think the Frontin' crossed over fairly heavily over here.

Backjob said:
Tru Playaz used to do some nice jungle remixes of hip hop around 96 or so

Found a d'n'b remix of Shook Ones Pt II kicking around that I've got a feeling might be Zinc related - very nice. I miss some of those uk remixes of big hip hop tunes; that Hype bootleg of Ready Or Not was a schhol days classic

dubplatestyle

that "ready or not" still gets played by a lot of people.

the dylan remix of luda's "roll out" is LARGE (in a mosh kind of way).

D

droid

dubplatestyle said:
that "ready or not" still gets played by a lot of people.

the dylan remix of luda's "roll out" is LARGE (in a mosh kind of way).
Dont forget Aphrodite/Jungle brothers 12", or the Dillinja/Jeru 10"! :)

The problem with House/hip hop crossovers is the tempo... most House clocks in at between 124-128bpm, occasionally a little slower or faster. The 'classic' BPM for hip hop is 96, varying from 88 - 100bpm in most cases. So unless you go back to the 80's, when there was a true electro/hip hop crossover, with Run DMC/Mantronix/EPMD etc putting out tunes at 112/116, or even 120, the tempos are just wrong, and theres not a huge amount you can do about it.

For the same reasons, this is why Hip-hop/jungle crossovers work so well.. the average speed of a 95/96 jungle record is between 84 - 88bpm halftime (168-176 double time).. and as a result just a slight pitch up or down gets them in time with each other... The same goes for a lot of reggae and dancehall as well... thats why IMO, 84bpm is the 'magic' bpm....

AshRa

They're not really my cup of tea but we do sell loads at the shop where I work. Stuff on the Fall Out label (garagey reworks of hip hop soul-type stuff) does really well as does anything by producers (very confusingly called) DFA!!

PS Whaddya mean you don't like '03 Bonnie & Clyde?!! ;) Contains the funniest Prince reference i've heard for a long time!

hint

party record with a siren
droid's spot on about the bpm issue...

you hear a lot of house re-rubs of missy tracks, for example, cos she often clocks in around 100-110 bpm on her more recent stuff. doesn't sound so nasty when you stretch it up to 120 or so.

the whole hip house movement seems to be making a bit of a comeback. there's the whole pal joey / soho - "hot music" vs. missy - "I'm really hot" business, the new chemical brothers track with Q-tip, i:cube ft RZA...

the yam who and blackbeard reworks have gone down pretty well over here - pharrell - "frontin", freeway - "alright", little brother - "make me hot", kweli - "get by".... not all strictly house, of course

C

captain easychord

gragy10 said:
Anyone heard that DJ Ayres Hip House mix that Turntablelab are selling? I'm kind of intrigued by it but wary... Speaking of them, they often seem to have a few hip house rmx white labels kicking around -I'd check some of them out . I know there was a bit of a buzz about Yam Who and his remixes - I think the Frontin' crossed over fairly heavily over here.

Found a d'n'b remix of Shook Ones Pt II kicking around that I've got a feeling might be Zinc related - very nice. I miss some of those uk remixes of big hip hop tunes; that Hype bootleg of Ready Or Not was a schhol days classic

that shook ones remix is indeed by zinc. very big. and that hype bootleg is a toronto anthem, i swear to god it gets played at every party i've been to.

Kuma

The Konspirator
^
Not just a Teedot anthem but a freakin' North American ting.
Every gig I've played from T.O. to SF and back to Vancouver that has had someone play that tune, has gone apeshit, even though it got cained to death ten times over. Something about dem fugees..

Lets just not bring up shake your body!

xero

was minusone
Radio Slave rework of Jacki-O is firing

I love Hip House mself, even tho everyone seems to knock it

C

captain easychord

Kuma said:
^
Not just a Teedot anthem but a freakin' North American ting.
Every gig I've played from T.O. to SF and back to Vancouver that has had someone play that tune, has gone apeshit, even though it got cained to death ten times over. Something about dem fugees..

Lets just not bring up shake your body!

when have you played in T.O?

nomos

Administrator
I was always partial to De La's "Keepin the Faith" remix with "Roller Skating Jam" and "Ring Ring Ring" mixes on the flip.

Kuma

The Konspirator
captain easychord said:
when have you played in T.O?

Not since 2002. Played at Gerry Belanger's nice and smooth night at...nasa? Very drunk night during Canadian music week..