Garage Band

martin

----
Has anyone used this? Are you able to stick samples into 'songs' with it? Can you distort guitar sounds on it? Is it easy to use for musically inept people? Interested in purely generic 3-chord thud, so not many demands to make on the software

Last edited:

borderpolice

martin said:
Has anyone used this? Are you able to stick samples into 'songs' with it? Can you distort guitar sounds on it? Is it easy to use for musically inept people? Interested in purely generic 3-chord thud, so not many demands to make on the software

i used it when i got a mac. you can make tunes with it. the quality of your tunes will depend on your musical ability. garageband is a nice program to play with. however, if you want to do something serious, i recommend to go to logic express, or cubase, ableton live or something like this. that way you only have one learning curve, because you will want to move on from garageband after a while.

martin

----
That sounds ok, ta. It won't be serious or for discerning music lovers, in fact the more it sounds haphazard and slightly out of sync the better. Would be good to be able to rough the guitars up so they don't sound to o clean

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
It comes with a heap of FX, including a load dedicated to guitars, so you can record your appalling pub rock racket and distort it to hell and back.

martin

----
2stepfan said:
It comes with a heap of FX, including a load dedicated to guitars, so you can record your appalling pub rock racket and distort it to hell and back.

Ace. Anyone know if Mac's sorted out this alleged problem with the new iMac G5 Intel models?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
and yeah, you can stick samples in, just convert to aiff and drag them into the song. I like garageband, but i really like simple programmes. you can't reverse a loop though, which is fucking annoying.