o Ken

sufi

lala
wtf is up with him now?

him and the evening standard seem to have this vicious hatred,
do the standard have a vendetta against him, or is that another holocaust denying anti-semite bang to rights?

martin

----
The Standard has hated Red Ken ever since he invited Gerry Adams to London in the early 80s and declared his support for Troops Out - maybe not purely 'since' that incident, but overnight he went from comedy Marxist who couldn't sort out the traffic lights (but could put on free Rock Against Racism gigs with Hawkwind and Vera Lynn in Victoria Park) to evil maniac intent on destroying Britain.

It's just bad luck that the journo happened to be Jewish, but if a paper slagged you off for 20 years+, including getting hacks to case your street in the hope of uncovering the fact that - good Lord, you had sexual contact with someone - wouldn't you blow up at some point too? Having said that, he's lost a lot of his bite, he used to be way more left.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is all a load of bollocks, what he said wasn't racism it was bad temper. It was a non-story at the time that should have been given the same ranking as Jordan leaving a nightclub drunk and arguing with a photographer but it has been twisted to make it seem like racism by the Evening Standard (which is a complete joke). I can't believe that this happened, what, a year ago and we're still talking about it now because he's been SUSPENDED from the mayorship.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
IdleRich said:
This is all a load of bollocks, what he said wasn't racism it was bad temper. It was a non-story at the time that should have been given the same ranking as Jordan leaving a nightclub drunk and arguing with a photographer but it has been twisted to make it seem like racism by the Evening Standard (which is a complete joke). I can't believe that this happened, what, a year ago and we're still talking about it now because he's been SUSPENDED from the mayorship.

the biggest irony is that the standard is part of the group once owned by well known fascist and hitler sympathiser, lord beaverbrook.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the biggest irony is that the standard is part of the group once owned by well known fascist and hitler sympathiser, lord beaverbrook."

Didn't "Red" Ken take their money as a restaurant critic for some time as well for an extra irony? I'm not especially sticking up for him I just think it's ridiculous that someone can be chased (kind of ) out of office by a paper with a vendetta and the fact that if you repeat something loud and often enough it becomes true.

mms

sometimes
he's not a racist - it was just an clumsy remark - the daily mail founder was a racist - meeting with adolf and showing support for the british fascist party etc..

its illogical to say that accusing a jewish person of acting like hitler is somehow anti semetic , its an ugly term used to describe someone with unpleasant tendencies
if you were to call your black boss a slave driver if he was particulary unfair and hard going, wouldn't be racist either, dumb but not racist

i do wish he'd stop spending on this self promoting crap, vendettas, look how good i am stuff and just get on with it.

D

droid

It does make me worry that a poltician and an otherwise intelligent man could be so crass and childish.

Isnt a big part of his job to charm people? His comments were totally unwarranted, and he should have apologised - not that they're sound basis for suspension, but he should have known better.

He gave them exactly what they wanted, and they've (predictably enough) captialised on his stupidity and intransigence.