the da vinci code

luka

now, i realise that my tastes are a little more highbrow than those of many on this board and that i may not get any responses to this but i was wondering, why is there a disembodied hand in the last supper and why is there a ladyboy in it? i've decided the da vinci code is all based on true facts.

rewch

well it is... it says so on the tin... not that i've read it, obviously... have you?

zhao

there are no accidents
where?

fs_da_Vinci_Last_Supper_cleaned.jpg

last_sup.jpg

rewch

it's not called the bassano code is it? john (luka's ladyboy) is in bassano's painting sitting on jesus' knee, so maybe there are many [insert artist's name] codes...?

D

droid

The hand belongs to James, 2nd to the right of JC, and, as mentioned above, the 'ladyboy' is actually John.

jenks

thread death
When visiting a friend in Milan about 7 years ago we walked past this unprepossessing building and she said "The Last Supper's in there". There was no queue at all. We went straight in and had about 25 mins in there with just the guard for company.

It was only when confronted with the image that I actually realised just how good the image truly is. It is so huge that you can't take it all in in one go - it kinda makes your eyes buzz in the same way the rothko room in the Tate does.

When in front of it I certainly didn't feel like it was incoherent in any way. All i kept thinking was just how well made the thing was - the way your eye is constantly forced to move by the insistent movement created, almost a recycling of vision over and again.

I think it was at this stage that i realised I had seriously misjudged Renaissance Art in a major way and led me towards the Botticellis in the National and eventually Massaccio.

nothing to do with the da vinci code though, sorry

D

droid

jenks said:
When visiting a friend in Milan about 7 years ago we walked past this unprepossessing building and she said "The Last Supper's in there". There was no queue at all. We went straight in and had about 25 mins in there with just the guard for company.

It was only when confronted with the image that I actually realised just how good the image truly is. It is so huge that you can't take it all in in one go - it kinda makes your eyes buzz in the same way the rothko room in the Tate does.

When in front of it I certainly didn't feel like it was incoherent in any way. All i kept thinking was just how well made the thing was - the way your eye is constantly forced to move by the insistent movement created, almost a recycling of vision over and again.

I think it was at this stage that i realised I had seriously misjudged Renaissance Art in a major way and led me towards the Botticellis in the National and eventually Massaccio.

nothing to do with the da vinci code though, sorry

Ya bastard! I was there last autumn and couldnt get a ticket, even though we phoned them a month in advance....

jenks

thread death
droid said:
Ya bastard! I was there last autumn and couldnt get a ticket, even though we phoned them a month in advance....

that dan brown has much to answer for ... it must be a conspiracy against dublin based reggae genius ;)

D

droid

Well - I read it.... :(

The reviews at the start are ominous - 'brainy, 'smart' smartest, 'brainiest', 'most clever', 'brainy' (again), and my favourite: 'Crichtonesque'...

I nearly put it down after a couple of pages - utterly formulaic Patricia Cornwell type writing - and boringly predictable, and the 'FACT - everything in this book is true' disclaimer at the start pissed me off, as I knew much of it was BS...

Other than that, it was a passable airport thriller, with a vaugely interesting conspiracy theme. Says absolutely nothing new or original though, recombining old ideas into a more marketable and less challenging form, and the writing and plot were truely awful...

Foucaults Pendulum for 'Heat' readers... :D

D

droid

It also reminded me a lot of Garth Ennis's rather silly 'Preacher', and, of course "the Holy Blood and the Holy grail', which is far more entertaining....

D

droid

This has gone too far!

:mad:

Judge creates own Da Vinci code

The judge who presided over the failed Da Vinci Code plagiarism case at London's High Court hid his own secret code in his written judgement.

Seemingly random italicised letters were included in the 71-page judgement given by Mr Justice Peter Smith, which apparently spell out a message.

Mr Justice Smith said he would confirm the code if someone broke it.

"I can't discuss the judgement, but I don't see why a judgement should not be a matter of fun," he said.

Italicised letters in the first few pages spell out "Smithy Code", while the following pages also contain marked out letters.

Although he would not be drawn on his code and its meaning, Mr Justice Smith said he would probably confirm it if someone cracked it, which was "not a difficult thing to do".

In March, he presided over a High Court case brought by authors Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, who claimed Dan Brown plagiarised their own historical book for The Da Vinci Code.

But Mr Justice Smith ruled Mr Brown did not substantially copy Mr Baigent and Mr Leigh's work The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, saying it did not have a central theme in the way its authors suggested.

The Da Vinci Code, which has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide, features a number of codes the heroes of the book must crack to solve the mystery.

A much-anticipated movie version of the novel, starring Tom Hanks as historian Robert Langdon, is released on 19 May.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4949488.stm

Rambler

Awanturnik
I dunno, I'm quite amused by that story. The judge was great crack throughout - after a week or so he adjourned the case so he could reread the two books, then came back with a long, detailed litany of reasons why the case being brought was complete bollocks. Just tore the Holy Grail author's case to shreds there and then. I figure he's put this 'code' in his judgement (and we only have his word that there's anything there anyway) to get his own back - you bastards made me read your stupid books twice because you don't even have the most basic understanding of how copyright works, so now I'm gonna waste your time, something like that.

zhao

there are no accidents
I was sick earlier this month for a few days (mild cold) and was listening to an audio version of it... but I got better 4/5 way through, and now I don't even really care if I finish it or not. I mean this sort of pulpy thing should, if not enlighten, be atleast engaging on an entertainment level...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"dunno, I'm quite amused by that story"
Yeah, me too.
"we only have his word that there's anything there anyway"
Well apparently it's been cracked now so it must be there but I won't know what it says until I reach the middle pages of today's paper.