favourite recent grime lyrics

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
S

simon silverdollar

come on, let's have em.

my favourite at the moment are trim's bars on roll deep's 'progress', the ones that go, 'if we used to be friends its cuz i used to have time'.

sends shivers everytime

also loving wiley's bars on 'gangsterz', especially where he goes 'my uncle got stabbed like twice and he died'. for some reason. i just like the way he says 'like'.

anyway. what's your's?

S

simon silverdollar

oh and skepta's lyrics about if he's going to heaven, it's going to be with jme. love the way the bars end with 'man needs a mash and mace just to buy a cheeseburger'. where cheeseburger doesn't rhyme with anything!

i know tiny prancer's a big fan of them too.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I like the slicks and fuda combo, they also did it on logan´s last show.

Scorcher´s non rhyming bars, which seem to be ´correct´ nonetheless. He´s done a tune with i think esco on which he does them.

Wiley´s So Amazing track, copying dizzee´s ´stop dat stop dat get dat wot´

And trim´s ´Trim´s my little riddle, the cats still fiddle, the cows keep milking the game´etc

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Footsie's "here's the 38/go ahead take a look at it/now i've got you more than shook innit" is awesome.

and bearman v doctor on the true tiger mixtape is hillarious, stretching the zoo metaphors to their limit.

"lyin.../i saw you with lion"

S

simon silverdollar

did anyone hear this track with narstie a while back- think it was called 'ska riddim'.

it had crazy, minimal bars from narstie, something like:
"its the n dot a dot wow
n dot a dot wow
gun shot
gun shot
get em boy
get em boy!"

in one way, it was totally shit. in another way, it was totally great.

Asger

Matki wandalki
Blackdown said:
and bearman v doctor on the true tiger mixtape is hillarious, stretching the zoo metaphors to their limit.

"lyin.../i saw you with lion"

definitely

"dude / im all about food/ and that little girl right there is rude/"

brilliant, got me smiling every time...

S

simon silverdollar

yeah footsie's big. didn't use to like him at all, but i think he's really stepped up massively recently.

i also like wiley's lyric of, 'got to put music first, DAD YOU'VE GOT TO PUT MUSIC FIRST!'

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i love fuda's absolutely batshit turn on the risky roadz II mixtape precisely because i don't know what the fuck he's saying and i'm not even sure he does either.

hint

party record with a siren
Am I imagining things, or does Wiley have a lyric that says:

"I'm not urban
Ask Matthew Herbert"

?

gumdrops

one thing that irks me about kanos recent stuff is that he seems to do about a million different flows per song. one minute hes doing a sub-mike skinner/reggae DJ thing, next minute hes doing a million words per minute! still, mic check is great, yeah.

i have dizzee's newish bars lodged in my head - that 'i like to move it move it/you got an AK use it' line is kinda memorable.

its not recent but i like the ruff sqwad track where every line ends in 'and t'ing'. not really into wiley's gangsters. gettos line about stabbing women even if theyre pregnant was er, memorable, but like most of his lines, unconvincing and ludicrously OTT. wiley was right when he said getto was just 'an angry kano'. demons like an angrier getto. theyre like young gunz to kano's jay-z.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
benjybars said:
yeah, i htink he does but who's matthew herbert??

I think he's a house producer. Someone else should probably say a bit more seeing as I know next to nothing about house music.

jack

maybe a Herbert/Wiley collaboration is on the cards....

Skepta's 'deeper' bars, definitely