Grime Rewind

PinkPunk

I'm drunk, and I might made a fool of myself now, but, I've been wathing getgrimetv the last couple of weeks, and I've noticed that the DJ rewind almost EVERY track!! why oh why?? I would imagine that it destrois the flow for the MC, but they don't seem to be that annoid.. I don't get it .... do the DJ think : "aw, maybe the MC is off beat, I better start the track all over", or what?

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
During the set, it´s the goal of the mc to get the crowd so hype that a wheel up is done to give extra appreciation time and fun!

PinkPunk

I know, but, getgrimetv don't seem to have any crowd ..the DJ just rewind every track (and the MC are not shouting "rewind rewind, blabla") ..maybe all the tracks are SOOO special to the DJ that he want's to rewind everything ..... I find it silly :p

S

simon silverdollar

but a rewind in grime is really a show of appreciation for the MCs as opposed to the tune itself. so the DJ in question probably just wants to show how much he likes the MCs, or wants them to like him...

D

droid

If you think grimes bad, you should check out a few soundclashes....

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
i find rewinds a bit self-indulgent and they always spoil the flow of the music. does anyone actually like them?

bassnation

the abyss
big satan said:
i find rewinds a bit self-indulgent and they always spoil the flow of the music. does anyone actually like them?

i thought grime / dancehall / reggae sets aren't about flow. rewinds would sound pretty odd in a progressive house set, but grime?

mms

sometimes
big satan said:

NRG und respons competion and feedbak

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Logan Sama said:

i'm serious. just as things start to get going it's stop and back to the beginning again. if it's such a good idea how come you don't see that in every style of music? how come bands don't start playing a song, stop, then start from the begining again?

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
I can enjoy hearing a record pulled back as much I enjoy listening to the record itself :p

It might be one of those things that comes along with a being a DJ. Its nice to feel you have control over synthetic music.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah rewinds are a reggae thing originally, so if you're looking for history look there. And yeah, bands do do rewinds and usually it sounds pretty funny to hear the band respond when capleton or someone says 'pull up!', a lot of drum rolling and instrument noise.

The thing you need to understand in these kind of sets, it's about building up the hype level to where it feels like the crowd is going to riot and then pulling them back down with a rewind, then building up again, etc. It's a peaks and troughs style, as opposed to techno's long dark tunnel or other seamless 'atmospheric' keeping the dance chugging along styles.

That said rewinds should be judiciously applied, too much of anything is not a good thing. Rewinding at the wrong time can definitely ruin the vibe, it's all about timing.