who's going to check david banner tonight

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i lost my mobile last week so have lost quite a few numbers and this is the easiest way to find out!

S

simon silverdollar

i'm not. i'm a sick as a dog. and on the weekend of my birthday too....

C

captain easychord

stelfox were you there? did you catch the prancer's set?

davide banner is an amzaing performer. pure energy. his freestyle over 'destruction' was a personal highlight.

Fiddy

missed the start of Banners set but what I caught was impressive, nice and sweaty. Big up Radioclit for the party... and of course dropping Destruction!

bun-u

Trumpet Police
It was quite a spectacle but it did border on being just a pantomine in places...especially as there was very little in the way of a vocal performance from banner (mic was very low in the mix). He's rap's Henry Rollins.

gumdrops

not so good either
prob his worst song ever actually
its a total rip off of the whisper song
i feel embarassed for him

dunno I rate that tune. I like the beat. It does seem like he is in the current competition amongst US rappers to spit the most explicit lyrics possible on this tune though I agree.

DavidD

can't be stopped
gumdrops said:
not so good either
It was produced by the same guy. Its part of his 'intimate club music' 'series'

gumdrops

yeah i know theyre all done by mr collipark, and the beat is great, but its ruined because its a direct copy of the ying yang twins' 'wait'! that intimate club music thing was a bit of a farce IMHO, they only coined it to defend the fact that collipark was ripping off himself again and again (i think juvenille did something similar to 'wait' as well)

petergunn

plywood violin
gumdrops said:
not so good either

eh, i think the beat is better than the ying yang one, plus the lyrics are a tad more sexy in a less creepy way... i.e. eating pussy, not beating it up...

that song is kinda played out here, it was a "hit" like 4 or 5 months back...

"intimate club" mixes well w/ snap music...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
gumdrops said:
yeah i know theyre all done by mr collipark, and the beat is great, but its ruined because its a direct copy of the ying yang twins' 'wait'! that intimate club music thing was a bit of a farce IMHO, they only coined it to defend the fact that collipark was ripping off himself again and again (i think juvenille did something similar to 'wait' as well)

no. wrong, i think. as i've said before about this stuff, i honestly think you need to see it in action in a club in the south. it really goes off and people love it. sure, you're entitled to say that it's a bit samey, but "ripping himself off" is a bit dismissive and also a kinda weird thing to say. ploughing a very similar furrow perhaps, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it does exactly what it's supposed to do and sounds pretty great. i understand the flurry of indignation that "wait" brought about (cf jessica hopper going absolutely potty about anthony miccio's review of it in the village voice etc) a lot more than this kind of criticism.

Last edited:

gumdrops

stelfox said:
no. wrong, i think. as i've said before about this stuff, i honestly think you need to see it in action in a club in the south. it really goes off and people love it. sure, you're entitled to say that it's a bit samey, but "ripping himself off" is a bit dismissive and also a kinda weird thing to say. ploughing a very similar furrow perhaps, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that it does exactly what it's supposed to do and sounds pretty great. i understand the flurry of indignation that "wait" brought about (cf jessica hopper going absolutely potty about anthony miccio's review of it in the village voice etc) a lot more than this kind of criticism.

mate, i see people going off in clubs to girls aloud and the sugababes and kylie minogue (not a dis to any of them, i like them all), but just cos people like dancing to them, doesnt mean that its not a rip off. ive met mr collipark and even he admitted with a small shrug that the artists just wanted to do the same sort of thing they heard the YYT do with such success on the whisper song. its pretty obviously a cynical cash in on the success of the ying yang twins' song (and my problem isnt with the nature of the lyrics or anything like that).

fine, it serves its purpose in so far as it makes a decent club song, but even in that context, the YYT did it better. its not like david banner was simply using a vague reformulation of the original 'wait' track, its a blatant, cynically uninspired cash-in from the whispering to the ahem, upfront sex theme. i dont really buy banner as a loverman, personally and i think this was just his transparent attempt to really become more of a star in the states.

maybe saying collipark was ripping himself off was a bit over the top, but since 'wait', he has stuck quite singlemindedly to this new template of his. which is cool, i like it a lot, he does something similar on the new bubba sparxxx song too, but as with the banner song, its his beat thats the star there, not bubba.

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's hardly a "mr loverman" song, it's track about shagging, plain and simple. don't really see it as cynical, it just does what a lot of hip-hop does, rinsing out a theme/production style.

carlos

manos de piedra
i like "play" but having owned the "mississipi" album, i was a bit taken aback by the slick video, with banner wearing a suit surrounded by bright colors and hot sweaty girls exercising. it is quite a video...

btw- the lyrics are changed to "let me see your body sweat" for airplay and it was a hit here last year