Best ever Wiley/Roll Deep Vocals?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Just doing some more free market research.

Out of the entire history of Wiley going back from PAUG to Roll Deep and his Solo work, what are your personal favourite vocal cuts he has been involved with? Released or unreleased, it doesn't matter.

I just want to know which are people's favourites.

Personally I feel Doorway off the Treddin On Thin Ice album was horribly over looked and under-rated. I'm also a massive fan of Know We and Terrible, going back to the golden days of Sidewinder raving.

Immryr

totally agree with you on Doorway, i also think I Was Lost off Treddin On Thin Ice is great too.

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Love the vintage bars on "I will not lose", good delivery on destruction riddim, pick urself up for inspiration, and eski boy is an all around fun tune. I also feel the same way about Treddin on thin ice. If it had been wiley who got the mercury instead of Dizzee I think the Grime scene would be looking alot different right now.

Last edited:

originaldrum

from start till done
BIGGEST personal fav wiley lyric ever has to "wylie and i'm gettin em hyper, get em dirty like a baby diaper" which i'm not sure if it ever got released on anything other then sidewinder, which i'm not even sure ever got released, but is on many, many tapes from time

Last edited:

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Yeah, "Doorway" was definitely big, but I was also a little disappointed becuase it seemed that he somehow had streamlined the sound of the Ground Zero riddim for the album vocal. It wasn't as heavy as the earlier instrumental versions. But we're talking vocals now and the lyrics was still heavy, I just think he should have used the "real" Ground Zero riddim, instead of making some album version of it.

But I didn't know it was overlooked, I thought it was like the centerpiece of the album, wasn't it? I'd say the tune "Treddin on thin ice" was more overlooked, hidden at the end of the album, with a beat similar to Ground Zero and maybe even heavier lyrics. "Pies" was also really really good, although this might be stating the obvious. And "Happens for a reason" of course.

Wiley's lyrics on "Destruction" is great stuff, simplistic but pure genious. "I know trouble, trouble said he don't know you..." and so on.

When it comes to murkage I'd say the Fire Hydrant vocal, "Pow Back", slewin Lethal, is one of the best. "Pow, pow, suck your mum, pow!!" Hahaha, brilliant!

Among the more recent tracks I rate "WD25", and "Grim".

There's also some big tunes on the leaked false version of Second Phaze floating around now. I haven't seen a tracklist for it, but, err... track 1, 2 and 7 are very big.

micmack

My Little Pony
I love the way all of Wiley's moods come through his lyrics and cadence and the way he is so direct and concrete in his choice of words.

Pick ur self up, pies and together are some of my favs.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I think his energy on destruction is pretty sick, and it's a good use of one-lining that the one line actually gets better as he re-uses it. Not often the case.

I also really like his bars on Top Producer with The Abyssinians shoutout, bigup the people who know about history deeper than 10 years.

As far war bars: "Run in your house, you got robbed!" was icy cold at that moment, couldn't believe he went on the radio with that.

And yeah, Pick Yourself up is definitely eski motivation 101, big tune.

gumdrops

im not a huge fan of wiley solo, i dont really think he has what it takes to hold down a full track by himself, but im a huge fan of his verses with pay as u go (stuff like terrible, know we, champagne dance etc) and i thought his verse on dizzee's too far was brilliant. hes great on when im ere as well (as was everyone on that track).

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
Yeah So Amazing is great.
I like ´take a hammer to your audi´ ´I left XL coz i didn´t wanna stay there´ ´I´m a ninja turtle´ ´Write lyrics make beats for the fun of it´ ´I went college but i didn´t go uni´
´ It´s wiley i´m getting em hyper´ ´Creep on the riddim like spider´
His verse on ruff sqwdas ´Together´
Destruction, Doorway, Treddin on thin ice, Candy, the song on a pretty mellow rapid beat which you played on one of your shows a few months ago

milkandhoney

"im a bad boy not a goody goody man, i face the boogey man black knight hoody man"

or something like that, his bars on that song are amazing

i like it when he says something like "whizzing round like meals on wheels"

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
on Ice Rink. more about the flow than the lyrical content per se.
"i'm in the future, they can't see what I can, I'm in the future... material things it don't matter in the future, travel in a time machine, I'm in the future"
"you could never move at my pace, move at a fast pace, travel from place to place, I'm too eski, know my name is eski, my flow is eski, I'm goin on eski... I do it gangsta gangsta like Joe Pesci" (rhyming Pesci with eski = brilliant!)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Wow, can't believe I forgot Together. DEEEEEEEP. Also the tune from Creeper, 'Baby' which sounds kinda like a prequel to Together.

petergunn

plywood violin
my fav. wiley self-help motivational tune is "problems"...

"wot u call it" is one of those where every time i hear it, i actually like the vocals more and more, and originally i didn't like them that much...

the new track "gangsters" is actually pretty great vocal wise... i was listening to an old eskimo dance recording and heard some great lines by him, but i can't remember 'em...

-p

viktorvaughn

Dont know about best but this one is chilling 'if theres a spider in my room i wont kill it/ but humans they push it' or whatever it is.