METAL! Discuss

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Big closet Maiden fan. Remember them as a nerd-turd in the 80s, especially 'Run to the hills'. Kinda got into the late 80s metal bands like Metallica (esp. all the albums up to and including 'And justice'), Slayer and Anthrax, then maybe Guns n' Roses.

Are there any Dissensans that loved metal in their lifetimes?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Buick6 said:
Big closet Maiden fan. Remember them as a nerd-turd in the 80s, especially 'Run to the hills'. Kinda got into the late 80s metal bands like Metallica (esp. all the albums up to and including 'And justice'), Slayer and Anthrax, then maybe Guns n' Roses.

Are there any Dissensans that loved metal in their lifetimes?

i've only had one lifetime and it hasn't included listening to hair metal.

john eden

male pale and stale
I had to pretend to like Judas Priest for a while in my first year at secondary school to avoid a kicking. I actually liked Adam and the Ants loads more, but that would've got me a kicking from both sides in the 11 year old "metal vs two-tone" wars.

I do remember liking "run to the hills" and "ace of spades" when they came out, though.

D

droid

I was pretty seriously into trash metal: Slayer/Nuclear Assault/SOD/Morbid Angel/Death/Napalm Death/Prong/Metallica/Voivod/Sepultura end of things in my early to mid-teens, as well as having a fondness for stuff like Sabbath/Motorhead and AC/DC.

I still rate quite a few metal records and I have no regrets - as it led me down the road into punk, 70s rock, and Industrial, and eventually to electronic and dance music.

hint

party record with a siren
I consider Appetite For Destruction to be a masterpiece.

But, on the other hand, Metallica are one of my least favourite bands. One of the few hugely famous bands that I really can't fathom. How can rock music fail to rock so spectacularly?

D

droid

matt b said:

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Death - Leprosy
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Voivod - Nothingface
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption/Suffer The Children
Stormtroopers of Death - SOD
Sepultura - Morbid Visions
Lard - The Power of Lard
Septic Death - Now that I
Sabbath - the first 4 LPs (obv)
Primus - Frizzle Fry/Seas of cheese

Off the top of my head....

mms

sometimes
i like sabbath,
south of heaven and reign in blood by slayer,
metallica - master of puppets (even the corny bits)
some led zep
mayhem first album death
and some of the sludgy stuff
quite enjoying queens of the stone age sometimes
maiden did some good tracks but they are overall very bad.

thats a honed down list, apart from these things i can't really stretch out any further

S

simon silverdollar

was a big fan of sepultura and ministry in my yoof.

actually, i still really rate the first Korn album. it's just so odd and clattery. i remember it did sound quite revolutionary when it came out: metal without guitar solos, and with very anti-machismo lyrics.

but then korn went terribly, terribly shit, and then limp bizkit came along, and all was ruin...

S

simon silverdollar

i don't understand people who don't like Slayer. what's not to like?

find the really sludgy stoner stuff (earth, sunn-o etc) a bit hard going, but i'm a massive fan of Kyuss.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah come on- psalm 69 was well metal!
and all albums since then have been pretty metallic as well. i heard the reason for this is the changing power dynamics of the group, with Al jourgensen taking over- apparently he was always the big metal-head, with paul barker being the industrial/dance fan of the group.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
sabbath (the default best metal band)
kyuss (seconded- slo burn were the best though)
blue cheer
atomic rooster (can we call them metal?)
grief
eyehategod
sleep
floor
iron monkey

liked some metallic hardcore but focussed on the hardcore aspects, because h/c is better than metal

prong etc were too 'funk' (in a bad way) for me

john eden

male pale and stale
I lost track of them after the album which followed "Mind". Possibly cos they got more thrashy innit. Me and Paul Meme went to see them at Brixton Academy during that tour - I'd forgotten about that!

I liked Lard as well.

Was quite an interesting time with that lot going on alongside all the Blast First stuff.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
A few years ago I was really into jazzy noodly death metal and hardcore... Atheist, Cynic, Death, Spazztic Blurr etc, a bit of doom too. The jazzy stuff I find a little irritating these days, although when I'm in the right mood, or had enough to drink, I still enjoy it. The really sludgey, doom stuff I used to listen to seems to have had a longer shelf life.. check out Esoteric, Winter, Skepticism and Thergothon - minimal and crushingly heavy, but they're still songwriters.. a lot of the drone based stuff people call doom is totally different.

D

droid

matt b said:
prong etc were too 'funk' (in a bad way) for me

Well - 'I beg to differ' (groan) :D

If you think they were bad you should check out 'Fishbone'...
xyxnervous.gif

jd_

I saw some band the other day called Midnight, just one guy in a gas mask playing guitar with two girls dancing. Kind of 80s thrash inspired I guess, but the backing track had all these horrible high pitch frequencies, like he was going for this old cassette sound, but messing with the mix in really harsh ways that really hurt. It made people go absolutely crazy. The audience started fighting each other. One girl smashed another girl in the face with a beer bottle in the pit even. I could see people on this board getting into them maybe.

bassnation

the abyss
jd_ said:
I saw some band the other day called Midnight, just one guy in a gas mask playing guitar with two girls dancing. Kind of 80s thrash inspired I guess, but the backing track had all these horrible high pitch frequencies, like he was going for this old cassette sound, but messing with the mix in really harsh ways that really hurt. It made people go absolutely crazy. The audience started fighting each other. One girl smashed another girl in the face with a beer bottle in the pit even. I could see people on this board getting into them maybe.

sounds like a typical night in hoxton to me.