Guide to Istanbul

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got nine days holiday to use up by the end of March and for the first time in ages I can afford to go abroad. I'm thinking about Istanbul and I wonder if anyone here has been there especially around this time of year (I was just looking at a guide to Istanbul in a shop and a Turkish guy started speaking to me, he didn't have much English but I think he may have beeen suggesting that March wouldn't be the best time). I guess I will go for four or five days and I'm especially keen to know what it's like to just wander round with my girlfriend, what the nightlife is like and, most importantly, where I can get records. Any help much appreciated.

craner

Beast of Burden
I went there when I was 17 during high summer so I can't really help you too much but I have one piece of advice - do not, whatever you do, enter a carpet shop.

You'll have a lovely carpet but you won't be able to get home.

Also, it's fabulous. Do go, definately.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"do not, whatever you do, enter a carpet shop"
I'll bear that in mind, thanks.
I reckon I'm gonna go pretty much for definite. As well as everything else I really want to find some good record shops, I've heard some amazing Turkish funk/psych on ebay but it costs loads - I'm envisaging coming back weighed down with armfuls of records (wrapped up in a carpet).
Or does anyone know of any good Turkish record shops in London - you would think that there might be some in Stokey or Green Lanes but I've never seen one.