Travel Tips

craner

Beast of Burden
Does anybody know cheap places to stay in Croatia? Ideally near Dubrovnik, but anywhere will do.

Also, if it's cheaper to get a train from Trieste than fly to Rijeka?

3underscore

There is a bus from Trieste to Rijeka that is really cheap - that's what I did when I was there. Goes from the centre of one town to the other - takes a couple of hours.

You have a hell of a long way to go to get down to Dubrovnik - I was driving it, and I wouldn't have been keen going any further than Split. Split, btw, has very few hotels. Be warned. Stayed in some little island-town outside of there called Trogir, which was great.

Haven't been as far south as you are looking though, so can't help with that.

craner

Beast of Burden
Thank you.

How long ago did you take that bus? I assume it's still around. I think that's the best bet cosnidering how easy it is to get to Trieste. (Although the temptation to just turn the over way and go to Venice will be strong.) I might have to miss Dubrovnik. It's not a cheap place to get to.

Trogir - will look into that.

I wonder what public transport is like in Croatia.

3underscore

It was a couple of years ago. The bus will definitely still run - it was pretty busy with locals (some of whom got lifted at the border).

Trogir was like some playboy's island. Really strange but nice place for a break.

There is a really nice national park at Krka which you can make it to along the coast. It was nice, but bloody freezing when I went for a swim in the waterfalls.

Zadar I stopped at, but didn't find it all that. Ended up staying in what turned out to be the equivalent of pontins in Croatia. Only good thing there was we sat in the bar drinking, running up a tab - and the barman left without taking money. It almost made up for how shockingly bad the experience was.

Got an apartment near Sibenik - nice place, very calm.

If I remember much else I will put it up.

craner

Beast of Burden
Incidentally, did you get there via Piran (Slovenia)? That's somewhere I want to go too. Seems to be between Trieste and Rijeka.

rishaug

Piran you can get a bus to from Trieste. Trieste is good for passing through, nothing else. From Piran, you can get a boat (back) to Venice. Piran is a little like a cleaned up Venice. Good for a couple of days. Wine - refosk - outstanding.