a good digital camera

mms

sometimes
can anyone here recommend a good no nonsese robust digital stills camera?
preferably with a flash please?

i am a little lost in this ere world of technolgy

D

droid

I did a lot of research and ended up with a canon Ixus 55.

Seemed the best combination of price, quality and size. Good video as well.

B000B5KFGI.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...92273/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/203-8853778-1058318

jenks

thread death
yeah, i second the canon - i picked up an ixus 700 ( got the better spec as i was buying it duty free and thus saved myself a few bob and got a much larger memory card). I was recommended the canon by a mate who sells cameras for a living - he said if he had to spend his own money on a digital then he'd splash out on a canon.

i would also recommend the canon software for manipulating images from a totally unexpert p.o.v. Very intuitive to use and doesn't require much in the way of manual reading - those who work everyday with images might not find it quite so impressive but it does the job for me.

sufi

lala
canon thirded

i had one which i lost :( i bought a sony instead which has higher spec but ain't as good

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
We've got an old canon... it's great but a bit slow for taking shots of kids. Are the new Canons really responsive? Gotta be pretty instant to get snaps of a toddler.

(Unless you're Eden, who has this weird timing thing going on when he presses the shutter just before the kid does something amazing and thereby takes large numbers of extraordinarily good pix...)

jenks

thread death
re: kids

mine has a specific setting for taking pics of kids - certainly seems to do the job with my two (almost seems to make them cuter than in real life)

i love the canon photo stitch thing you get with the software - good for those panorama pictures where you pretend to be Hockney.

D

droid

The one Ive got is pretty fast - still a slight delay... I just found out that I can plug it directly into the TV and even view the videos!! Plus theres a nice little touch when viewing portrait format photos - when you turn the camera, the image rotates as well.

All in all - Im very haapy with it...

O

Omaar

I have a panasonic lumix fz-20, I really like it. It has a huge lens although this means that the body is quite large. I've used the canon IXUSs before and found them pretty good, though the one I used didn't give you any direct control over the aperture or shutter speed, which is pretty essential i reckon.

These review sites were handy when I was choosing a camera:

http://dcresource.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

Google make a free piece of software called Picasa which works really well as an image library (which you really need once you start dealig with the volume of photos you can create with a digital camera) and for doing little touch ups.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i too favour the canon ixus.
sturdy, looks good, easy to use, lots of functions that can be mashed up manually.

however, not a patch on an SLR for landscape/ long distance shots

Last edited:

mind_philip

saw the light
I have a Panasonic Lumix FX9 which is about the same size and price as the Canon. I bought it mainly because it as an optical image stabiliser which is pretty useful when taking photos with a tiny camera, and in my experience of using it, really does make quite a big difference.

You can see it here

O

Omaar

mind_philip said:
I have a Panasonic Lumix FX9 which is about the same size and price as the Canon. I bought it mainly because it as an optical image stabiliser which is pretty useful when taking photos with a tiny camera, and in my experience of using it, really does make quite a big difference.

You can see it here

Yeah the luumix fz20 has OIS too, which is handy when you're using a big zoom.

Can anyone recommend a place in London to get pix printed out? is the snappy snaps chain rubbish?