The Raincoats!!

benjybars

village elder.
ok, I've got a task for dissensus crew..

What other music can you recommend to someone (me) who has (relatively) recently discovered The Raincoats, especially the first album, and thinks it's unbelievably good?? I mean, what else sounds like it, cos i really haven't found anything else? I guess it falls under post-punk, but I missed that by a few years (born in '82) so any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
the slits
the shaggs
beat happening
marine girls
the pastels
the spells
half japanese
daniel johnston
young marble giants
che-shizu
maher shalal hash baz
shonen kife (early stuff only)
desperate bicycles

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
big satan said:
the slits
the shaggs
beat happening
marine girls
the pastels
the spells
half japanese
daniel johnston
young marble giants
che-shizu
maher shalal hash baz
shonen kife (early stuff only)
desperate bicycles

safe, that's exactly the kind of thing i was looking for..
any more? also, i get the feeling The Raincoats are classed very much as a 'girl' group (not that the music's for girls, but that the fact that they are female is important..?) anyway, that's not particularly why i like them, so don't feel to restrict suggestions to female groups only.. thx.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
big satan said:
marine girls
benjybars said:
any more? also, i get the feeling The Raincoats are classed very much as a 'girl' group (not that the music's for girls, but that the fact that they are female is important..?) anyway, that's not particularly why i like them, so don't feel to restrict suggestions to female groups only.. thx.
and probably early (ie pre fashionable clubbing makeover)
Everything But The Girl and Tracy Thorn's solo "From a Distant Shore" as well
(that pleasingly turned up last autumn as a cult recommendation in The Indie ) and maybe around-the-same-timish Ben Watt's "North Marine Drive" (you get the idea - these were coastal times - I tend to play Tracy and Ben's solo albums back to back whenever I pick one of them up from the crates;
they belong together and it's no wonder they later became an outfit in more than one sense).

Virginia Astley - whose "From Where Gardens Where We Feel Secure"
is a celebration of a warm English summer with birdsong and distant churchbells and
all (when is bloody spring coming to London anyway this year?)

And when you're at it (and if you can afford it, I presume you are buying
at least some of this stuff) - get the Durutti Column's debut album "The return of ..."
(every man&woman in the land should have some Vini in his collection).

And this might be stretching it a bit (?) - but Eyeless in Gaza might fall in taste.

If you are short of cash - start with Young Marble Giants - one fantastic album,
a couple of singles and that is it . Easy to collect and not one bad release.
The Slits would probably be the critics (ie Blissblogger's) iconic and
obvious "one" choice album.
But this is Dissensus, not Consensus as someone wrote the other day ...

Last edited:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
it's hard to think of anyone much like the Raincoats really :)

The Slits - Cut came to mind, but it's much more polished with Budgie on drums and Dennis Bovell on production

maybe...

Au Pairs - Playing With A Different Sex
Essential Logic - Beat Rhythm News
Swell Maps - A Trip To Marineville

subvert47

Ness Rowlah said:
Everything But The Girl and Tracy Thorn's solo "From a Distant Shore" as well

how do you get from the Raincoats to Tracey Thorn? :)
it's just her singing love songs with an acoustic guitar
great album though

Ness Rowlah said:
And when you're at it (and if you can afford it, I presume you are buying at least some of this stuff) - get the Durutti Column's debut album "The return of ..." (every man&woman in the land should have some Vini in his collection).

same again :)
this is just Vini playing guitar instrumentals to simple drum machine patterns
another very fine LP all the same

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
subvert47 said:
how do you get from the Raincoats to Tracey Thorn? :)
it's just her singing love songs with an acoustic guitar
great album though

same again :)
this is just Vini playing guitar instrumentals to simple drum machine patterns
another very fine LP all the same

Via the Marine Girls tangent (as mentioned earlier), a little bit of a leap I admit -
I'll be getting me (rain)coat ...

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
not sure if this is a stretch, but I've always thought that anybody who is into the Raincoats would also be into Pram, particularly the first two albums...

h-crimm

an Essential Logic record is almost enough to make aurora illinois bearable.

also

kleenex/lilliput (awesome mess of a swiss version)
mo-dettes (slightly rubbish french version?)
y pants (arty new york version)
huggy bear (90s brat anti-britpop version)
spider and the webs (present day version)

owen

if you like the raincoats you really ought to hear

music hack Vivien Goldman's 'Launderette' single-
12742658_230ecb9e5d_o.jpg

a vast dub bassline, scraping wheels-on-the-tube viola from Vicky from the Raincoats and Keith Levene on guitar, with a wonderful, off-key narrative about london laundry romancing. an absolutely perfect record- mentioned in woebot's recent list if i remember rightly.

subvert47

owen said:
music hack Vivien Goldman's 'Launderette' single-
a vast dub bassline, scraping wheels-on-the-tube viola from Vicky from the Raincoats and Keith Levene on guitar, with a wonderful, off-key narrative about london laundry romancing. an absolutely perfect record- mentioned in woebot's recent list if i remember rightly.

anything with Keith Levine is going to be good :)

h-crimm

just remembered...

stretch by maximum joy.

a pig-bag / pop group off shoot if i remember rightly(?)

also this double live LP of acts playing at thames poly in the early eighties is great if your into low quality recordings of indie-end non-stadium post-punk::

http://www.discogs.com/release/580100

the songs on there by eels (not that gross 90s band), stiff injectors, the Ex, Ut, mark perry, the pastels and the deadly lampshades are excellent. if i recall (separated by the atlantic from my record collection)
any other songs by the deadly lampshades should be emailed direct to me.

also the mark perry (of AlternativeTV) solo record / singles compilation has a great reggae cover... and some other good deptford anthems

soup

Did anyone here go to see the Slits at Selfridges the other week. I was away but would be interested to hear if anybody made it (Specialy in such an incongruous setting).

martin

----
Kleenex / Liliput releases are all utterly essential. The best scratchy arty girlie single ever recorded, and right up the Raincoats' "at their most discordant" street, is "Normal" by the Petticoats. "Smittad" by Mizz Nobody is a terrific Swedish single with a truly indescribable vibrating guitar sound

catalog

it's hard to think of anyone much like the Raincoats really :)

The Slits - Cut came to mind, but it's much more polished with Budgie on drums and Dennis Bovell on production

maybe...

Au Pairs - Playing With A Different Sex
Essential Logic - Beat Rhythm News
Swell Maps - A Trip To Marineville
listening to essential logic now

don't think i've heard em before, am into it (i like both the au pairs and swell maps)