Eno is back with Roxy Music

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Guess you all knew (I didn't until today) - but
never say never again, (aversion). I just hope they dare to let it all hang out and that Brian
does not leave after the first couple of days,

Roxy Music will record a new album with its original lineup -- its first in more than 30 years.

The latest Roxy Music reunion is a little different than the on-and-off affairs of recent years. This time, Eno’s thrown his support behind the band. The outfit, which now features members Andy MacKaye, Phil Manzanera, Paul Thompson and Bryan Ferry, has entered the studio to record its first album with the founding lineup since Stranded (1973).

nonightsweats

as per enoweb:

"NME.com is reporting Ananova.com's story that Roxy Music has reformed with Brian Eno in the line-up. This untrue and just in-good-faith wishful thinking from the journalists -- Brian has no involvement with the band's current recording or tour plans. All that happened was that Brian popped in to visit the members of the group when they were in the studio. Hearing of this, some journalist somewhere decided that it is a truth universally acknowledged that a solo artist in possession of a fine career must be in want of tinsel jackets, peacock feathers, ego clashes, laundry ruminations and everything else that goes with rejoining a band he left 33 years ago. Great oak false rumours from tiny fact acorns grow..."

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Not heard about this, but it sounds a bit dubious to me. Eno is much more musicianly than he was back then. Maybe if they force him to use his old gear... :)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
f**k. Always say never again then ... I said to my better half that it was
hard to believe and that I wondered if it would last. But I have to say
this was very shortlived.

What next - Syd Barrett to hook up with David Gilmour just because
Dave was seen driving his car through Cambridge, Peter Perrett to come out
of retirement, Malcolm McLaren to hook up with the Pistols again?

PeteUM

It's all grist
No, that's true about McLaren and The Pistols. John Lydon was quoted as saying "I just thought it was time to bury the hatchet. Forgive and forget. I love the old cunt really..."

:p

Leo

hopefully this roxy thing is a hoax...their late-period stuff was weak enough, would hate to have the legend soiled further.

i have very mixed feelings about this type of thing. maybe it's just me, but i seem to be over the reunion stuff in general. admittedly, the stooges and rockets from the tombs reunion shows from the past few years totally blazed and kicked ass like prime time, but so many others have been terribly lame, if not downright sad to watch. seems a bit unfair that jazz and blues guys can still pull it off as old folks, but rock/pop/indie reformations just don't click with me.

of course, that being said, i saw wreckless eric do a solo acoustic set last month and he was really quite good, still ranting and riffing like a madman on "take the k.a.s.h." (albeit with just a slightest of stomach ponch).

polystyle

Career 3rd /4th legs

Hard to tell what's 'true' or what ...

Eno working with Paul Simon ? that doesn't sound good at all !
John Lydon saying something good about ol' Malcolm ? very hard to believe !
Malcolm , the scumbag of all ...

nonightsweats

the Roxy reunion tour from a couple of years ago was great. they all seemed in fine form and the track selection, thankkfully, lent towards the early material. andy mackay still can't play very well but that was always part of their charm.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Well, well. The paper of gliberal slipper-wearing potsmoking dads sometimes come up with the goods,
the Grauniad on Friday:

The most anticipated of this wave of collaborations - if not, perhaps by Eno - has been his return to the Roxy Music fold. For the band's album, scheduled for release in the autumn, he provided two songs, at the band's request, and ended up making a keyboard contribution to other tracks. "The strangest thing," he said, "was that they all called me Eno. In those days I was always Eno. I rather liked that. When I was at art school no one called me Brian. It was only when I went to America that people thought it was rude to address me by my surname. So I became Brian."

Working again with Ferry, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera and Paul Thompson, there were other reminders of Roxy's heyday in the early 1970s. "The band hadn't changed one bit in terms of its internal dynamics. Just the same chemistry. It made me wonder if people can ever change the chemistry between them. After all that time, the relationships seemed exactly the same."

But he will not be joining them on stage.

Tweak Head

Peter Perrett ... where is he now? I used to love the Only Ones, but he seemed a seriously fucked up guy. Hope he's got himself a bit sorted out.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
The last I heard of the great Peter Perret was his work as The One (no false modesty).

Try the new band Gliss if you miss Peter's voice,
the best glam big city rock around at the moment
(if you know of anything better lemme know)
(although on a couple of tracks they fall into Smashing Pumpkins acres).

Complete free track here http://2006.sxsw.com/music/showcases/band/1639.html and Gliss at myspace .
Perfect nighttime sleazy bar type of music - I love 'em.

Last edited: