british album charts

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Just the way it is. There was a piece on music in The Guardian or The Times
over the weekend - and it seems like there is a real divide. Us elderly like
albums and physical objects like LPs/CDs - whereas the youth thinks of music
as a track for their mobile/MP3player/computer. There's also the fact that
the 40-50 year old segment is the largest buyers of music in the UK and that
most people tend to mellow into timesqueezed boring old farts and listen to Wogan
and the like. And this is the effect. Not sure if "your" list is worse than the one I saved
exactly two years ago under the header

"The worst UK Top 10 Album chart ever is officially here"
20 March 2004 -

Katie Melua: Call Off The Search
Norah Jones: Feels Like Home
Daniel O’Donnell: His Jukebox Years
Jamie Cullem: Twentysomething
Lionel Richie: Just For You
Harry Connick Jr: Only You
Engelbert Humperdinck: His Greatest Love Songs
Jamelia: Thank You
Zero 7: When It Falls
Will Young: Friday’s Child​

vs this week's
21 March 2006 -
Corinne Bailey Rae: Corinne Bailey Rae
Russell Watson: The Voice - The Ultimate Collection
Jack Johnson: In Between Dreams
David Gilmour: On An Island
Andrea Bocelli: Amore
Vittorio Grigolo: In The Hands Of Love
Placebo: Meds
KT Tunstall: Eye To The Telescope
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not
David Essex: Greatest Hits​

Last edited:

D7_bohs

Ness Rowlah said:
Just the way it is. There was a piece on music in The Guardian or The Times
over the weekend - and it seems like there is a real divide. Us elderly like
albums and physical objects like LPs/CDs - whereas the youth thinks of music
as a track for their mobile/MP3player/computer.[/INDENT]

Piece in the PRS magazine this month that says the music business has basically lost a generation - nobody under the age of about 20 thinks you should pay for music any more than you pay for TV or the internet - a standing monthly/.yearly charge analogous to a SKY sub or a broadband connction or something, but no more. Fine except the mechanism by which musos/ songwriters get paid for their work is still struggling to deal with the shift from sheet music to recorded music.

I can confirm from personal experience Ness's point; my teenage daughter - fairly mainstream FF/ AM/KC 'indie' tastes laughs at buying music or even paying for downloads - though she occasionally hotwires stuff I've paid for; and all her friends - even the music obsessives - are the same. Whereas I, struggling on a research grant and with an expensive daughter, still spend way too much on vinyl (mostly) and still don't feel like I own a piece of music till I have it as an artefact - and thinking 'owning' is important...... I can remember, at the age of 18 agonising about moving out of home because of trying to work out how I was going to move my record collection; when she goes, all the music that matter to here will be on a Zen

D

droid

D7_bohs said:
Piece in the PRS magazine this month that says the music business has basically lost a generation - nobody under the age of about 20 thinks you should pay for music any more than you pay for TV or the internet - a standing monthly/.yearly charge analogous to a SKY sub or a broadband connction or something, but no more. Fine except the mechanism by which musos/ songwriters get paid for their work is still struggling to deal with the shift from sheet music to recorded music.

I can confirm from personal experience Ness's point; my teenage daughter - fairly mainstream FF/ AM/KC 'indie' tastes laughs at buying music or even paying for downloads - though she occasionally hotwires stuff I've paid for; and all her friends - even the music obsessives - are the same. Whereas I, struggling on a research grant and with an expensive daughter, still spend way too much on vinyl (mostly) and still don't feel like I own a piece of music till I have it as an artefact - and thinking 'owning' is important...... I can remember, at the age of 18 agonising about moving out of home because of trying to work out how I was going to move my record collection; when she goes, all the music that matter to here will be on a Zen

But hang on - up until the age of 16 or so, the only substantial bit of money I ever spent on music went on blank tapes. Sure, Id buy the odd LP or 2, but only as a last resort - yould always try and find somebody to tape from rather than buying it yourself, as in many cases it was the only way you could afford new music.

I dont think things have changed that much...

Last edited by a moderator:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
droid said:
Id buy the odd LP or 2...I dont think things have changed that much...

what's an LP?

many of my students have mp3 players, but own very few, if any cds.
music seems less important than (say) fashion now as a signifier of 'this is who i am'- its becoming throwaway.

mms

sometimes
droid said:
But hang on - up until the age of 16 or so, the only substantial bit of money I ever spent on music went on blank tapes. Sure, Id buy the odd LP or 2, but only as a last resort - yould always try and find somebody to tape from rather than buying it yourself, as in many cases it was the only way you could afford new music.

i don't know i think as mates engaged in a niche music at school, me an my pals at least bought something to pool - ie you'd get a record and tape it in return for some taped stuff etc.
sixform i skipped lunch to afford buying lps and 12"s - this level of sacrifice has happened ever since, not in terms of food but financials anyway !

this was never as part of an effort to be trendy or anything as people into dance and hip hop reggae etc were looked at as being strange, wilfully obscure pretentious or silly as it wasn't regarded to be proper music .

D7_bohs

droid said:

yeah, and I remember pooling together to buy records; thing is, when i was a kid anyway, records were way more expensive - first LPs I bought - in the 70s -cost me around £2.50 - which, just in terms of inflation, amounts to about £22.50 now or over 30 euro, whereas a CD now costs about half that - added to which everyone earns way more in real terms so music - as say expressed as hours worked at the average industrial wage - is a lot cheaper - you're obviously younger but i still think there would be a fair difference. Point is, Kids have way more money, but spend much less of it on music.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Ned said:

I remember reading that thing. I think he is right in that music is everywhere,
that it is cheap to get and all. But as for how much it appreciated on emotional
level I am not sure he is right. For some music sure, but for people who listen to music I am sure we connect in exactly the same way as they did 200 years ago. If I look at his main points my conclusion would be that many people listen to music on the radio, while doing other things. Hardly groundbreaking.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
In business terms Music is now Data, not art. And it needs to be handled as such if it is to be exploited for financial gain.

However I do agree that people have little or no respect for Music or it's value.