glenn gould's humming

bruno

est malade
just an excuse to relate an incident from a long time ago, when i knew nothing of this.

i put on a cd of the goldberg variations while staying alone at my father's apartment. after a while i began to notice that someone was humming along with the music and so, intrigued, i began to search for the source. i opened windows, put my ear to the walls, etc. finally it occurred to me to pause the disc and i realised in shock that it was mr. gould himself! well, it made me smile (and sigh with relief).

jenks

thread death
bruno said:
just an excuse to relate an incident from a long time ago, when i knew nothing of this.

i put on a cd of the goldberg variations while staying alone at my father's apartment. after a while i began to notice that someone was humming along with the music and so, intrigued, i began to search for the source. i opened windows, put my ear to the walls, etc. finally it occurred to me to pause the disc and i realised in shock that it was mr. gould himself! well, it made me smile (and sigh with relief).

all very disconcerting i agree but have you heard the bizarre keening that Jarrett provides to a number of his works, i'm thinking koln concert in particular. (beyond off-putting)

i'm pretty sure the gould noises are what is being parodied in 5 easy pieces(nicholson, black, rafelson) - if you haven't seen it, rent it NOW!!!

also i think the film about gould ...something about 32 in the title(sorry, just come back from the pub) has an incident in which they try to track down the source of the noise, only to find out it is Gould himself

My faith is in Rambler to give us full details

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
GG's humming takes some getting used to
but it's quality humming...

whereas numerous jazz pianists hum the solos as they're improvising
GG hums improvised harmonies, independent of the ones that the composer has already written

so Bach's 2 and 3 part inventions become 3 and 4 part inventions, with an extra part hummed by GG

:D

bruno

est malade
jenks said:
also i think the film about gould ...something about 32 in the title(sorry, just come back from the pub) has an incident in which they try to track down the source of the noise, only to find out it is Gould himself

see, every human experience is unique

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
jenks said:
all very disconcerting i agree but have you heard the bizarre keening that Jarrett provides to a number of his works, i'm thinking koln concert in particular. (beyond off-putting)

It's like he's mocking his own music, I don't know how people can tolerate it. Someone should tape his mouth up!

Woebot

really interested in checking gould since i read the recording angel
(all about how he would dice and slice his recordings to make the perfect performance)

i heard the goldberg variations (or was it the bach one, or am i getting very confused...) and it seemed nice but nothing special, piano music innit (winks) but if id heard the humming i might have been more interested

mms

sometimes
jenks said:

i'm pretty sure the gould noises are what is being parodied in 5 easy pieces(nicholson, black, rafelson) - if you haven't seen it, rent it NOW!!!

My faith is in Rambler to give us full details

chick corea also make sa weird noise sometimes when he plays - check children of forever lp -it's odd

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i love jarrett's grunts, whoops, moans, banging on the chassis of the piano etc. he's just using everything available to him and that's good improv in my book.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
WOEBOT said:
i heard the goldberg variations (or was it the bach one, or am i getting very confused...) and it seemed nice but nothing special, piano music innit (winks)
Heretic!

It's harpsichord music, innit.

polystyle

'Oooooooohh'

Dunno the Gould , but yea Jarret's sounds on those recordings were hard to get used to,
don't mind them by now - somehow
The Bremen Lausanne recordings have some of the 'playing the chassis' bits that Stelfox brought up
and that totally works in the piece there .
Those guys and their pianos - simple & complete systems for music making

But Hey Bruno , 'music i thought i heard through the wall' sounds like a whole 'nother thread