Trilogies/ Quartets/ etc

jenks

thread death
Having just finished the last Jake Arnott i got to thinking about the pleasures involved in reading a linked series of novels. Over the years i have noticed it becoming quite a preoccupation.

I think there are a number of reasons for this - when you find someone you like then having 'more of the same' is very appealing; also the attraction of the series is the pleasure of following a long story arc, characters dropping in and out over a long period of time; there is in here somewhere the appeal of the epic which stretches back to Homer and beyond.

I think it also allows for the ambitious novellist to stretch. Possibly there is also the wager with death in here too, will the sequence be completed before the author keels over? Often the novel series is a life's work.

And somehow, and maybe i am wrong here, the novels sequels are accorded greater respect than the idea of movie sequels ( a few honorable exceptions i know but generally they are looked down upon)

so here is a list for starters:
Proust
Thomas Wolfe
Powell (dance to the music of time)
Raven (alms for oblivion)
Waugh (sword of honour)
Robertson Davies (Salterton trilogy)
Zola and Balzac
berger's pig earth trilogy

there's more and i'm sure i've missed some fine, and very obvious, ones...

but not, for me:
Gormenghast
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

Does detective fiction fall into this category? i'm thinking the Rebus novels by Rankin which have developed over the years to be the story of Rebus as much as the story of a case solved.

anyway i need some new fiction to read to counteract the slow but steady progress i'm making through Schama's Rembrandt's Eyes (marvellous)

D

droid

Dicks 'Valis' trilogy - though he revisited the same themes again and again after 'Deus Irie', so its probably closer to a sextuplet. Theres no real narrative continuity - more an attempt to explain the same phenomenon from different angles again and again, reaching its most literal with the quasi-biographical account that makes up Valis itself.

D

droid

Oh - and Ursla K Le Guins "Earthsea Trilogy', and Phillip Pullmans 'His Dark Materials' series.

Both those are quite good (I love Lord of the Rings though :D), but extended sagas are also the hallmark of reams of cheap and bombastic sci-fi and fantasy - stuff like 'The Amtrak Wars'....

labrat

hot on the heels of love
David Peace; Red Riding Quartet
relentless northern miserablism (nowt wrong wi' that)

1977 (i think..the one with the swan murder) is the only book ever to give me nightmares-and that's speaking as a recovering Goth.

carlos

manos de piedra
i'm in the middle of Madison Smartt Bell's triology about the slave revolt in Haiti- i'm almost done with the second volume (Master of The Crossroads) after reading the first (All Souls Rising) in about a week. I have the final book (The Stone That the Builder Refused) on the way to me.

i had never read anything by Bell before, but i had some interest in the subject and picked up the first two books for 50 cents at a library sale. They really grabbed me- though i'm still not sure if it's the subject (as history) or the writing that keeps me reading.

jenks

thread death
labrat said:
David Peace; Red Riding Quartet
relentless northern miserablism (nowt wrong wi' that)

1977 (i think..the one with the swan murder) is the only book ever to give me nightmares-and that's speaking as a recovering Goth.

i keep on hearing good things about this series - really must investigate

cortempond

Moorcock, Peace, Ellroy, etc.

I just finished the Peace books - he is brilliant, though very bleak and depressing in his vision. Sometimes he tries to hard to be Ellroy with his writing style. I look forward to reading whatever he has in the pipeline.

Speaking of Ellroy - his LA series - Black Dahlia, Big Nowhere, LA Confidential (the film totally sucked if you read the book) and White Jazz. All incredible.

Philip Kerr - His Berlin Noir series.
Michael Moorcock - The Jerry Cornelius books. - (Dancer's at the End of Time as well).
Henry Miller - Sexus, Nexus Plexus.
John Updike - Rabbit series of books.

Going back to my childhood, I loved the John Christopher's Tripod trilogy, Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat and Deathworld trilogies and Ben Bova's Exiles Trilogy.

sufi

lala
the alexandria quartet, by lawrence durrell

balthazar.jpg

...the plot thickens and gets more twisted as the quartet progresses thru different characters' perspectives on the same events

he also did an Avignion Quintet apparently

then there's Naguib Mahfouz Cairo Trilogy,

but what please do you call a group of 2??? <- this question has been bothering me for quite some time

blunt

shot by both sides
Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle: Quicksilver + The Confusion + The System of the World ( + Cryptonomicon)

Bloody great. Quicksilver is, admittedly, about 1000 pages of scene setting but, given the scale of the project as a whole, I think that's forgivable.