Cheerleading music

AshRa

Ive just been watching a cheerleading movie called Bring It On (well worth a trip to the video shop if you missed it!) which had the most insane ghettotech / miami bass / hardcore soundtrack in the dance competitions...! The guy's website is http://www.cheerleadingmusic.com and it's full of absolutely nuts MP3s of custom CDs you can buy for your squad!! :D

The main track from the film is at http://www.cheerleadingmusic.com/cloversregional.mp3 - GO CLOVERS!

Can any American board members shed any light on the cheerleading music scene....? :rolleyes:

slanderlord

bloody roar
Cheerleading / (American) football culture is very big in the states, although cheerleading is not considered a sport, to some people's chargin. Sporting events are still one of the only avenues through which electronic/dance music infiltrates mainstream American culture.

"Bring It On" is a real sleeper classic, the sort of movie that a lot of people probably went into expecting a guilty pleasure and instead honestly enjoyed.

My old high school's team was one of the best in state this year.

redcrescent

This thread got me thinking about an Epiphany Dave Tompkins wrote for The Wire a while ago, where the cheerleaders do routines to Bass music during breaks at his high school basketball games. A genius piece, I will never forget his immortal assertion that "ass is such a big part of Bass".
Here's a Tompkins article on the marching band / quad connection, and I don't know if this radio show is still up.
That cheerleader music website is nuts.

(Anyone know Malcolm McLaren's "Double Dutch"? Not basketball or football, but a theme song of sorts for jump rope teams.)

DavidD

can't be stopped
I know "Double Dutch Bus" by Frankie Smith.

I think the whole marching band thing in american pop music is really interesting. That Yung Wun track w/ David Banner, Banner's "Fuck Em," that DC single of course....

turtles

in the sea
Did anyone ever see "Drumline" that movie about highschool marching bands? It looked absolutely terrible....

It's actually interesting how distinctly American the whole cheerleader/marching band thing is. Even in Canada, which is culturall quite similar to the US (well...kinda) there seems to be almost none of this stuff. At least I didn't experience much in my own highschool career. Does it really exist anywhere outside the States?

gff

well i guess there is the let's say experiential aspect to think about. much like recent assertions that the rave influence on crunk isn't direct but a more mediated function of producers fucking about with the "rave" presets on their tritons or whatever --> most musical education takes place in school bands! & it's a proven morale-booster for the director to have his kids do a chart of a prince tune or james brown or something. i'm totally unfamiliar with the whole southern black marching band thing, but i think the idea makes sense. maybe those heavy ponderous synth lines come out of some youth version of 'jupiter' or 'in the hall of the mountain king' or something, who knows!

(me, i played violin, so i got none of this, boo hoo)

DavidD

can't be stopped
I think I agree with that. I went to a large urban public high school and even though the band was predominantly music nerds, I have a feeling thats exactly what say timbaland, maybe david banner and CERTAINLY the neptunes were (to a degree.) There was both marching band (football games) and pep band (for basketball games) and I remember for the basketball games my friend Simon would play "Are You That Somebody" on his trumpet and ppl in the (predominantly african-american) audience would get into it and start to clap along....so yeah.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
DavidD said:
I think the whole marching band thing in american pop music is really interesting. That Yung Wun track w/ David Banner, Banner's "Fuck Em," that DC single of course....

Destiny's Lose My Breath is very marching band influenced to my ears. and the use of flutes in hiphop/rnb?

DavidD

can't be stopped
Its funny you mention that because I'm listening to T.I.'s "Motivation" as I read it which has both a martial horn-march feel and a flute sample as the lead melody!

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
AshRa said:
Ive just been watching a cheerleading movie called Bring It On (well worth a trip to the video shop if you missed it!) which had the most insane ghettotech / miami bass / hardcore soundtrack in the dance competitions...!

it sure woz an insane film, kirsten dunst was completley hyper throughout, some kinda politcal undertone but generally dance and sex prevailed, i'm glad we don't have cheerleadin in the UK
:eek:

we just have good bonkerz groovez

dubplatestyle

cheerleading is one of those things that makes me hate america and simultaneously realize that i could never, ever live anywhere else.

steve-k

Yea, I know what you mean. I saw a high school football game recently, and it was interesting to see the different approaches to cheerleading the squads for each school had(the mostly middle and working class African -American school vs the middle and upper class mostly white school).

I saw the movie Drumline someone mentioned up=thread. Not the greatest story, but the musical aspect of it is most enjoyable.