Grime article in Australian newspaper

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Here.

Pretty terrible article actually and you can still barelyever find grime in the shops in Melbourne but it was on page 5 of the Sunday paper, which is fairly prominent for a sound with next to no local influence.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
i remember being in Brisband in '04 and seeing an ad for a dubstep night, i was thinking, there's hardly any regular dubstep nights in London :confused: weird how these things get picked up on.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i don't see how this article is "terrible". it's an ok little entry piece for people who know nothing about it.

rob_giri

The article is incorrect about the claim of Lord Lingham introducing Grime to melbourne on PBS

It was my brother Keith and I, who had a Grime radio show on RMIT student Radio in mid to late 2003, playing week after week of downloaded (via soulseek and DC++) Grimeness. The name of the show? Fix Up, Look Sharp - 12-2am on Sundays. What a great show :)

fuck yeah :D. There has been many a cat in Melbourne who has picked up on the Grime vibe.

Tim F

Several stores stock some limited grime vinyl - in fact I've seen many a copy of Skepta's "Private Caller" for some reason. But they never have the vinyl that I'd actually want.

Some places are now stocking a few DVDs too - the hip hop store in the Flinders Street Station subway has Aim High 2 and Practice Hours, for example.

I resent anyone in Oz writing about grime who isn't me, of course. But yeah where's Keith's cheque...

Tim F

(that wasn't an implied diss on "Private Caller" btw, i love that tune, esp. the sequel)

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Blackdown said:
because grime people think it's an achievement to get their CDs into HMV Oxford St, London...

That's because it is an achievement given the amount of help there is for artists to get their material out.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Logan Sama said:
That's because it is an achievement given the amount of help there is for artists to get their material out.

yeah it's f**king tragic. and wrong. but the mcs aren't without blame either. you of all people will know how easy they are to work with! :)

gumdrops

seriously, what are these odds stacked against grime artists getting their stuff out there? how is it different from UKG/jungle and older dance artists in general pressing their stuff up and going through indie distributors? it seems to be the same dance cottage industry infrastructure that there always was. and if uk hip hop people can somehow get their singles out there (not saying its perfect, but they do get stuff out), why cant grime artists do the same?

D

droid

gumdrops said:
it seems to be the same dance cottage industry infrastructure that there always was.

Nah - not at all. The price of pressing vinyl alone has gone up by 100's of % since the days of jungle, and the distribution network (and sales) are a shadow of what they were in the 90s. It takes a lot more graft, cash and 'contacts' than it used to to get out of the '1000 white labels' end of the industry than it ever has before.

And its getting harder all the time. :(

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Tim F said:
Several stores stock some limited grime vinyl - in fact I've seen many a copy of Skepta's "Private Caller" for some reason. But they never have the vinyl that I'd actually want.

Some places are now stocking a few DVDs too - the hip hop store in the Flinders Street Station subway has Aim High 2 and Practice Hours, for example.

Shows how much I get out then doesn't it! I should go digging in some crates.

Grafta

A month or so ago in the NZ Herald grime was 'hot' in the whats hot & whats not column. Pretty funny shit seeing there's only really one regular grime night here, and seeing the night is shared equally between grime, hiphop & dancehall and attendance can be pretty slim. Yeah, journo's that stay office bound huh. Nice.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Grafta said:
A month or so ago in the NZ Herald grime was 'hot' in the whats hot & whats not column. Pretty funny shit seeing there's only really one regular grime night here, and seeing the night is shared equally between grime, hiphop & dancehall and attendance can be pretty slim. Yeah, journo's that stay office bound huh. Nice.

There's no chance that it's a firendly journo who likes your night trying to build the scene by giving it exposure? When I worked for a community paper in Wellignton, I did a lot of promotion of stuff I liked and went to by putting it in the "pick of the week" box in the events listings.

Grafta

Yeah, its probably something like that but no mention of particular nights or peeps involved. Still good publicity, can't complain about that. It's just no-one involved with the scene can figure out the link between this journo and grime. Interesting how things work innit.