for the disco fans...

petergunn

plywood violin
check it!

here is a recording of my friend chris's father DJ Raunchy Rich, spinning at Playlounge in Manhattan in the Fall of 1974. Very very very cool stuff. My favorite part is when he does the (relatively) quick cut from the Lyn Collins version of "Think" into the Soul Searchers' version....

nomos

Administrator
thanks a lot peter :) really cool. i've been wondering where i could find early recordings like this. does anyone know where to look or names i should keep an eye open for?

petergunn

plywood violin
fuck, i just realized my servor didn't upload it properly... ARGH...

this is actually 45 minutes long... i will reup it tonight or tomorrow morning...

SORRY...

G

grosun

Thanks a lot for putting that up; being in a club in manhattan in 1974 sounds like it was a lot of fun! Really cool being able to hear that shit.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
This is great. Sometimes I think all would be right with the world if Disco had survived and David Mancuso had become President...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
MATT MAson said:
This is great. Sometimes I think all would be right with the world if Disco had survived and David Mancuso had become President...

can we pool together, hire a terminator and make that happen, time travellers? that would rock.

petergunn

plywood violin
grosun said:
Thanks a lot for putting that up; being in a club in manhattan in 1974 sounds like it was a lot of fun!.

that was my thought... another favorite moment on here is the basic beat juggling on "pepperbox"...

this is actually one of my favorite periods in music, before the idea of disco had become a formula and disco DJ's wouldplayt stuff like "Think' by Lyn Collins or "The Bottle" by Gil Scott Heron...

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Yeah, thanks for this! As well as being lots of enjoyable tunes it's pretty interesting as an archival thing.

As a random aside, I downloaded the file at a bit over a meg a second... your host must have internet-ruling bandwidth, I never get that kind of speed. :)