The Weddoes! (Wedding Present Thread)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
My grey-indie roots are showing through, but I'm going through a bit of a Wedding Present revisionist stage. I always thought they were the 'edgiest', if not the 'rockingest' of the C86 Bands, besides the JAMC. Thought George Best was a pretty good album, the one after that a slight progression, but SEA MONSTERS is defintely their masterpiece. Lost interest with their 7" single thing, hated the Eastern Euro Pouges album and didn't care much for Gedge's girly-pop things after the Weddoes.

The WP were an anomoly. They were staunchly English, sortya post-punk in a FALl sorta way, and had quite a sizable cult following, even had a book written about them! They also had quite a big cult following in the USA , kinda weird for such an Engerlisch indie-trainspotter type band.

Did they spawn Pulp in their wry English observations? I remember Gedge having an odd sex appeal with some of the ladies, and Robbie Williams sometime reminds me of the Gedgster in his mannerisms!@#$! Heck you could even throw in the Arselick Monekys for some sorta weird lineage, but all up an most under-rated UK band, that were never quite as 'sexy' and pseury as most English far from their time and after.

Last edited:

Woebot

funnily enough i heard them being played in trendy-wank graphics bookshop just yesterday.

my little brother had george best back in the day. i did like it but was slightly suspicious of the attached student union vibe. i remember being distinctly more comfortable listening to buttholes/sonicyouth/bigblack.

people falling for the weddoes all over again looks (cruelly) like hipster shorthand for the other more recherche twee indie of that era. discovered the june brides "every conversation" last year and that blew me away....

Don Rosco

I was kind if into them as a nipper in the early 90sish - went to see them a couple of times at any rate. At one gig, they kicked off with Kennedy. There was some fierce energy around, the crowd was going nuts. In short, a great gig.

I went to see them again there last year. A thoroughly depressing experience. The band were ok, but the crowd were awful. A load of 30-plus boring cunts (myself included) standing and staring. Just your standard Rock Gig I suppose...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I started to get into them, back when "Brassneck" came out...(what was that LP, Kennedy?)...then I saw that David Gedge wore short pants on stage...for whatever reason, this sufficiently turned me off The Wedding Present...more fool me, I s'pose...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I too took them more seriously around the time of 'Brassneck' and I still feel that SEA MONSTERS is an early 90s rock-pop-poonces-and-fucksticks-with-guitars, shit indie-guitar masterpiece from any country, but esp. from the You Kay.

tate

Brown Sugar
Sea Monsters sounded great when it came out in 1992 and still does imho, thanks in large part to Albini's recording.

'Dalliance' is one of my favorite songs from the period. The distorted drone guitars that hit with approx 1 1/2 minutes out and just hold til the return of the chorus, it still gives me chills. Ace drum sound as usual by Albini, it sounds as if you are in the room with them. (Recorded in Minnesota!) Live in the late 90s though, yeah, not very exciting at all.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Tate said:
'Dalliance' is one of my favorite songs from the period. The distorted drone guitars that hit with approx 1 1/2 minutes out and just hold til the return of the chorus, it still gives me chills. Ace drum sound as usual by Albini, it sounds as if you are in the room with them. (Recorded in Minnesota!) Live in the late 90s though, yeah, not very exciting at all.

yeah i get goosebumps when those guitars and drums kick in. But also the context of a song, it's like an ejaculation/catharsis - one of the best hetero boy/girl breakup albums of all-time.