blogs gone quiet

Blackdown

nexKeysound
is it me or are in general many of the big bloggers quiet?

i can't seem to get my fix of quality writing about music i'm excited by on blogs right now.

tom pr

I miss silverdollar and poplife, but my favourites right now are probably dot-alt and prancehall; both updated pretty regularly, and both top stuff. Also mine is wicked (ahem :eek:), and gets updated every few days. throughsilver.blogspot is good stuff, though nothing to do with grime or dance or the scenes that are usually discussed here. I miss when Riko used to update :(

milkandhoney

tom pr said:
I miss silverdollar and poplife, but my favourites right now are probably dot-alt and prancehall; both updated pretty regularly, and both top stuff. Also mine is wicked (ahem :eek:), and gets updated every few days. throughsilver.blogspot is good stuff, though nothing to do with grime or dance or the scenes that are usually discussed here. I miss when Riko used to update :(

prancehall chats like a groupie these days :p

Woebot

tom pr said:
throughsilver.blogspot is good stuff,

yeah where did this guy come from. he's excellent.

blissblogger's probably knee-deep in diapers. silverdollar needs to get a blog (whispers, please!)

my new faves are peanut butter and beta luvs la.

actually what troubles me much more is the complete lack of new music to latch on to. its NEVER EVER EVER EVER been this uninspiring.

Blackdown said:
is it me or are in general many of the big bloggers quiet?

i can't seem to get my fix of quality writing about music i'm excited by on blogs right now.

do you think you've crossed the line and lost objectivity by producing the music you are also supposedly professsionally critiquing and that it has some flow on effect to others ???

is it a case of bloggers not having anything nice to say so not saying anything ???

maybe the cultural net needs to be cast further or people need bigger balls to say what they really think :D

tate

Brown Sugar
HELL_SD said:
do you think you've crossed the line and lost objectivity by producing the music you are also supposedly professsionally critiquing and that it has some flow on effect to others ???

sorry, but i find this suggestion completely wrong. if only more music journalists were also musicians or producers! It's one of the weakest aspects of music journalism, the lack of actual musical training or knowledge: i can't tell you how often I have read things that were just plain musically wrong (I very distinctly remember a dissensus thread on 'formalism' which quickly devolved into the claim that 'all pop is timbre, and therefore not music' or some such).

In any case, it's no surprise to me that some of our very best music writers, such as Mr. Clark, Sasha Frere-Jones, Phil Sherburne, Dave Stelfox, or Ripley (perhaps not a journalist but someone doing important research on music, law, and tradition nonetheless), are also musicians, producers, DJs, or a combination of the three.

Last edited:
dunno eh...

...you don't need to make a film to appreciate a good one

it's all subjective but once you become locked into the scene and it's players as a peer I'd imagine one would tend to be a bit guarded about theirr more extreme opinions for fear of alienating the massive...

...then there is the tendency to close up shop around a scene

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Tate said:
sorry, but i find this suggestion completely wrong. if only more music journalists were also musicians or producers! It's one of the weakest aspects of music journalism, the lack of actual musical training or knowledge: i can't tell you how often I have read things that were just plain musically wrong (I very distinctly remember a dissensus thread on 'formalism' which quickly devolved into the claim that 'all pop is timbre, and therefore not music' or some such).

In any case, it's no surprise to me that some of our very best music writers, such as Mr. Clark, Sasha Frere-Jones, Phil Sherburne, Dave Stelfox, or Ripley (perhaps not a journalist but someone doing important research on music, law, and tradition nonetheless), are also musicians, producers, DJs, or a combination of the three.

learning to produce - which i've been trying to do for years - has been humbling. it makes you realise how exceptionally hard it is to make anything feel or sound even remotely good.

Some of the magazines I've worked at have been home to some of the most unpleasant contempt for the actual music and musicians, which is perhaps a result of being spammed by PRs and labels every day. Either way it was ugly but i'm sure some time spent trying to produce anything at all of note might be a reality check for them

gumdrops

hmmm

Blackdown said:
Some of the magazines I've worked at have been home to some of the most unpleasant contempt for the actual music and musicians, which is perhaps a result of being spammed by PRs and labels every day. Either way it was ugly but i'm sure some time spent trying to produce anything at all of note might be a reality check for them

i agree that some people can be over critical and unnecessarily disrespectful of musicians/artists perhaps but this idea that you cant really comment on music effectively/fairly unless you are a producer/musican seems like the usual snobbery musicians have towards music journos.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
gumdrops said:
i agree that some people can be over critical and unnecessarily disrespectful of musicians/artists perhaps but this idea that you cant really comment on music effectively/fairly unless you are a producer/musican seems like the usual snobbery musicians have towards music journos.

i never said you can't comment on music without having made it, but it might be a good antidote in cases where journos have lost contact with why they started writing in the first place.

interesting blackdown...

...that you think you have gained a better perspective by appreciating the diffficulty in producing music worthy of note

methinks its a bit incestuous though by critiquing your peers objectively in a less than positive light if the music warrants it merely opens your music up to the same in kind...

...can you handle the jandal ???

best not to say anything at all or not give a shit especially if you're also trying to shroud the scene in a geographically fixed locale to the exclusion of the wider scene...

...the music biz and the symbiotic relationship with the media isn't in the reality game so they're not likely to check themselves

...to be a good war journo would you have to kill somebody in battle ???

mms

sometimes
HELL_SD said:
interesting blackdown...

...that you think you have gained a better perspective by appreciating the diffficulty in producing music worthy of note

methinks its a bit incestuous though by critiquing your peers objectively in a less than positive light if the music warrants it merely opens your music up to the same in kind...

...can you handle the jandal ???

best not to say anything at all or not give a shit especially if you're also trying to shroud the scene in a geographically fixed locale to the exclusion of the wider scene...

...the music biz and the symbiotic relationship with the media isn't in the reality game so they're not likely to check themselves

...to be a good war journo would you have to kill somebody in battle ???

do what thou wilt
if you can DO THINGS WELL then do them WELL.

Last edited: