Jeezus Christ! Madchester Easter Play on BBC

stelfox

Beast of Burden
This is actually real, no joke.
The world has gone completely bizzonkers....

Manchester makeover for Passion

Oasis' Wonderwall will be featured in BBC Three's Manchester Passion
BBC Three will stage a live procession through the streets of Manchester on Good Friday in a bid to bring the story of the Passion to a new generation.
Featuring songs by local bands, the Manchester Passion is a contemporary retelling of Jesus's final hours.

Songs include Jesus and Pontius Pilate duetting on Oasis hit Wonderwall, and Judas performing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by the Smiths.

No artists have been confirmed for the one-hour show, a BBC spokeswoman said.

The live event will be focused on Manchester's Albert Square, where the trial of Jesus and the crucifixion scene will take place.

The show has been created by the team behind Flashmob: the Opera

A procession of local people bearing a cross will come through the streets of Manchester to meet those playing the parts of Jesus and his disciples in the square in the centre of the city.

'Supportive churches'

The evening production has been developed by the TV classical music department behind BBC Three's Flashmob: The Opera, and will have the same spontaneous feel with members of the public encouraged to turn up and get involved.

"The churches in Manchester have been really fantastic and very supportive," said a BBC spokeswoman.

"They have been looking for ways in which they can get involved because I think they recognise that it can bring a new audience to this age-old story."

It's about making the story more accessible to a new generation

BBC spokeswoman

All the tracks in the production will be music from Manchester bands from past 30 years.

Confirmed songs include Jesus singing Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart at the Last Supper, Jesus and Judas duetting on New Order's Blue Monday and the Virgin Mary singing M People's Search For The Hero.

A BBC spokeswoman said the programme-makers hoped "people that never go to church may go along".

"Whether it is because they are interested in seeing more, want to be on TV or just love the music, it is still introducing them to this story - and that is what it's about, making the story more accessible to a new generation."

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Keith Allen is playing Jesus-jeezis!

Manchester has developed a massive spin on its myths but this is ludicrous.......

stelfox

Beast of Burden
"Songs include Jesus and Pontius Pilate duetting on Oasis hit Wonderwall, and Judas performing Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now by the Smiths."

this may be the finest line in the history of journalism.

D

droid

Is the tranformation into musical theatre the last stop of decreptitude for once vital music? Its like Lenins Tomb or something... a static embalmed lowest common denominator tribute that becomes more 'real' than the original work itself by virtue of its perrenial and unceasing nature...

HEAVEN KNOWS THEY'RE MUSICAL NOW!

Smiths are the latest band to inspire a new musical.

Following in the footsteps of Queen and ABBA, the band's rise and fall is to be played out on stage at London's Lyric Hammersmith Theatre next July.

Written by Smiths fans Andrew Wale and Perrin Manzer - who also created 'Jacques Brel's Anonymous Society' a few years ago - have promised something tasteful and not at all like a traditional musical.

According to The Independent, the title of the production will be taken from the Smiths track 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' and the show will feature more than 20 songs by the band arranged for a string quartet and sung live by a cast of six.

Associate producer Michael Brazier said: "Each song has a life of its own but they are connected by the way the performers behave on stage."

Producers have described the Smiths musical as a "film without a text" and initial plans are more opera than theatre. The show will be neither biographical, nor set to a musical score but evolve through a loose pastiche of scenes linked to each of the songs. Video sequences may also be included.

Brazier added: "It is not a linear story. There will be action going on stage whether its dance or movement or acting without words depends on the scene. Sometimes the song - and what the singer is saying in the song - will be the main line of action. But other times when you are concentrating on the singer, out of the corner of your eye you will be seeing impressionistic goings-on elsewhere on the stage. The significance of that (action) will become clear later. The meaning of these clues will gradually reveal themselves."

Will there be an 'Aphex twin the musical' in 10 or 15 years?

Rachel Verinder

If you've heard the Russell Watson/Shaun Ryder version of "Barcelona," you may come to the conclusion that such enterprises read better than they might actually turn out.

I'd definitely invest in Aphex Twin - The Musical though (Vicar There's An Analogue In My Bubblebath? Does anyone have the number of Russ Abbot's agent?)...

D

droid

Rachel Verinder said:
I'd definitely invest in Aphex Twin - The Musical though (Vicar There's An Analogue In My Bubblebath? Does anyone have the number of Russ Abbot's agent?)...

LOL - If hes not available you could always get Barrymore instead...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
initally skeptical, I now have much more confidence in this endeavor, knowing that it is being created by the team behind Flashmob: The Opera...

Flashmob: The Opera??!!