ID cards, my emotional repsonse

Just heard on the news that we will now definitely have to have an ID card containing biometric data if we wish to have a passport.
For an introductory period it will be possible to get a passport whilst opting not to have an ID card but biometric information will still be taken and kept on record.

I don't know exactly why, it's kind just emotional but I really don't want to have to carry an ID card and I don't want the govt & police to have my fingerprints etc when I haven't done anything wrong.

Especially when the govt. are so corrupt - cash for peerages, PFI funnelling taxpayers money to Tony's cronies whilst the NHS is dismantled, immoral war etc.
I don't trust them not to victimise me in the future for having long hair or being a DJ/not having a proper job, not being married, going to nightclubs too much.

...and the police are allowed to shoot innocent people and get away with it, leave people to die on the police station floor etc etc, I don't want them to have data on me.

I know I'm just an ill-informed complainer but it seems wrong to me.

What other countries can you suggest I go and live in where I don't have to be fingerprinted, retina-scanned etc. and can feel less guilty about what my tax money gets spent on?

D

droid

Edward said:
What other countries can you suggest I go and live in where I don't have to be fingerprinted, retina-scanned etc. and can feel less guilty about what my tax money gets spent on?

Id suggest Ireland, but TBH, were going through a bit of semi-facist Tatcherite phase at the moment, so its probably not the best time...

tryptych

waiting for a time
Here's some things you can do:

1) Mass application for passports now - this will mean you get 10 years of biometric free passport, as well as creating a backlog and headache for the passport service.

2) When biometrics come in, refuse to put your finger on the the scanner.

2) Close or cross eyes when asked to use a retinal scanner.

Obv I like Droid's idea too. Direct action and civil disobedience are going to be pretty important tools...

Rambler

Awanturnik
Here's a thing that doesn't get put about much in reference to the ID cards debate:

There are about 35 million people in the UK old enough to have a National Insurance number.

The National Insurance number database contains c70 million records.

Therefore, the current database of who's in the country and entitled to benefits, healthcare, etc contains c35 million false records. How exactly can we put faith in a new national identity register, which will, incidentally, need to be cross-referenced against the completely corrupt NI database?

I'm utterly depressed and very angry about this, but thanks to my in-laws I'm eligible for - and will apply for - an Irish passport. My advice - ask your grandparents where they were born.

D

droid

You might want to keep an eye on this blog then:

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2006_01_01_tjmcintyre_archive.html

Biometrics possibhly on the way here, thanks to the American Govt.

The other bonus of having an Irish passport, is that you'll probably be the last to be executed if youre held hostage with a load of other white English speaking people. The US/UK/Israel/Australia/South Africa - all much more hated than us.

Only New Zealanders would have a fair chance of survival (as long as theres no Maori kidnappers involved). :D

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
biometrics is one thing, the other one is that the ID cards
will have RFIDs in them (as mentioned on the oyster card thread) -
enabling the powers that be to track most of your moves.

Basically England is soon becoming a future tyrant's paradise -
every single UK Citizen will be tracked by RFIDs (just place enough readers
in public spaces, cafes, places of worship or dissent), every car tracked
by video and congestion charge, every travel registered (Oyster cards),
every transaction monitored, every telephone conversation, email, web
session etc logged, every vote and who you vote for is already being registered,
every move you make recorded (highest density of CCTV in the world) - all this
managed by dodgy politicians (sleazy Blair and even worse was Blunkett)
and police (feeding themselves and the public into a frenzy of fear -helping
each other, ie Blair the policeman helping Blair the PM with getting ID-cards through)
using IT systems that WILL fail big time (a hacker's playground - how do you give a whole nation a new ID if the whole ID-database was stolen?) and that will cost us billions of pounds.

All this with hardly any protest from the British public - are you becoming a nation of
zombies; just minding your own business - with "nothing to hide"?

We all got something to hide, it's part of being human -
and the proof are those politicians whose husbands have loans reaching
half a mill without them knowing, selling peerages, buying stocks and options
in companies they know will do well, telling us all to behave while demanding
DNA-tests of their ex-lover's child, telling us about weapons of mass destruction and
so on.

Blair's latest lick of the US back is his backing down on the Kyoto and climate
change protocols to get the UK in line with the US (ie do more or less
nothing, because the US president does not believe in science, but in God).
Blair does also believe in God - and has said God will be his judge.

With Blair's record on climate and sleaziness - we know one thing for sure.
It's going to be hot wherever Tone goes ...

Last edited:

corneilius

The UK

It's amazing whats happening here! The UK Executive (Prime Minister) is as we write attempting to pass a law that will allow him to repeal, reform any old laws without reference to parliament! It will also allow him to create new crimes, with a levy of up to two years in the nick, any more time in than that and he'll have to refer to parliament. Now that's protection! lol!

It is called the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill - they are having a LARF!

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmbills/111/06111.1-4.html

Note the introductory paragraph!

At the same time, a damning indictment on the state of democracy in the UK, and the lack of power the people have, has just been published.

" After eighteen months of investigation, the final report of Power is a devastating critique of the state of formal democracy in Britain. Many of us actively support campaigns such as Greenpeace or the Countryside Alliance. And millions more take part in charity or community work. But political parties and elections have been a growing turn-off for years. The cause is not apathy. The problem is that we don’t feel we have real influence over the decisions made in our name. The need for a solution is urgent. And that solution is radical. Nothing less than a major programme of reform to give power back to the people of Britain..."

You can get a free (within 24 hours) copy of the report and it's recomendations from :

http://www.powerinquiry.org

Do get a copy and read it. I have read it and it IS good stuff, based on what real people really want and I tell you I am hard to please when it comes to governance. Needless to say the mainstream media have avoided it completely. Medialens did an brilliant alert on it, and that's how I found out about it.

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/06/060309_the_threat_of.php

And be aware that various European Governments have entered into agreements with the US to allow their corporations and citizens to be subject to US laws, and consequently extradition .... Ireland included!

In reality the UK/US/EU are fast becoming one legal, finacial mechanism ...

sherief

Generic Human
Ness Rowlah said:
All this with hardly any protest from the British public - are you becoming a nation of
zombies; just minding your own business - with "nothing to hide"?

It's as if you were becoming Americans or something....

corneilius

rephrase

I should rephrase my closing line from the entry above :

UK/US have ALWAYS been one political/financial entity...... :eek:

Well it's nice to hear other people's thoughts, most of my friends are just "i'm all right jack" and they don't think about it, just carry on with work, life etc.

So anyway, seriously, I wanted to know do most other countries in Europe already have ID cards? Biometrics? Where can I emigrate to when it gets too oppressive here?

C

captain easychord

droid said:
You might want to keep an eye on this blog then:

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2006_01_01_tjmcintyre_archive.html

Biometrics possibhly on the way here, thanks to the American Govt.

The other bonus of having an Irish passport, is that you'll probably be the last to be executed if youre held hostage with a load of other white English speaking people. The US/UK/Israel/Australia/South Africa - all much more hated than us.

Only New Zealanders would have a fair chance of survival (as long as theres no Maori kidnappers involved). :D

but but you forgot Canadians! check out this story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060316.wxhostage16/BNStory/International/