Get Down With The Age Of Chance

marke

Tumbling Dice
of course i cannot comment.

ahem.

but i still reckon 1000 Years of Trouble is a pretty good album

slogans. leeds (i lived there 1986-94). noise. sample overload. excess.

love it.
m.e /ireallylovemusic

Rachel Verinder

They talked a good game but I'm not sure they played one. I've still got One Thousand Years Of Trouble but "Learn To Pray" is the only track on it which I review regularly. Much of the rest of it conjures to immediate mind unsavoury 1987-type words such as "News On Sunday," "Channel 4 youth programming" and "Janet Street-Porter."

Didn't they carry on with a different vocalist thereafter and become a bland soul group?

marke

Tumbling Dice
yes. Mecca was a record label album, it failed, despite there being some fine songs, ti sjust that it wasn't AOC really.

however, during this period the core members still did some cracking stuff on the 12" versions. not noisy Z'ev loving AOC of old admittedly, as they had discovered house and so the 12" (Timeless/Gates of Heaven) were pink floyd nicking trance epics.

then they became Curve-esque in their final days for 2 self released 12", which proved that they could have reinvented again, but the world was too busy to care by then

m.e

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Fuck, yeah.

AOC were one of the greatest bands ever! And 1000 Years of Trouble a) one of the five greatest album titles of all time and b) a great record. I loved them right from that Peel session. Morning After the Sixties -- how brilliant were the lyrics in that? "They discovered the twist and invented space" is one of my favourite lines ever. The Disco Inferno cover was fantastic. Loads of good tracks on 1000 Years. Hold On is just insanely high energy punk rock motown -- yet there's this wicked sheen and depth to the sound. Best track by some margin for me is Take It -- monstous sub-Queen riffage and the most wonderful baleful monotone funky rant of a lyric. There was a great remix by the Bomb Squad on the twelve.

And they were in the audience when I went to see Swans in Leeds during the Children of God tour. :cool:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
That's so weird. I was singing 'From Now On This Will Be Your God' on holiday this week and thought, 'must look them up on the net when I get back'. There must be some sort of viral revival going on.

marke

Tumbling Dice
hey paul.

glad to see others still loving Crush Collision.

i too was at that Swans gig @ Leeds Poly .. i was stood with Geoff for a fair bit of the time, and he told me to stand with my fingers in my ears as i was about to experience severe pain.

he was soo very right.

they used to always be at downbeat as well .. along with Nightmares on Wax, Unique 3, etc etc.

hmmmmm.

word is that Geoff T may also have a mix available out there on the net under a pseudo .. so be on the lookout for more Sonic Collision.

mark e/irealllylovemusic /ageofchance.com

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
The LP artwork was one of tDR's best efforts ever.

Swans in Leeds was very quiet until they got going, all that acoustic gentle stuff from Children of God - lovely.

Swans at ULU in 86 -- now that was the biggest noise ever.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Louder than Crass or Dirt Paul? Fucked my ears for a long time after seeing both on the same bill for Ten Bob...

marke

Tumbling Dice
after years and years of careful negotiation, ireallylovemusic finally gets the interview its always wanted.

geoff t from age of chance comes out of hiding.

read the results here

ta

mark e
ireallylovemusic

John Doe

marke said:
hey paul.
i too was at that Swans gig @ Leeds Poly .. i was stood with Geoff for a fair bit of the time, and he told me to stand with my fingers in my ears as i was about to experience severe pain.

he was soo very right.

mark e/irealllylovemusic /ageofchance.com

Weird - I was at that gig too.

I can still remember recoiling in pain when the band started playing... Fuck, it hurt.

Circus Lupus

Circus Of Wolves
after years and years of careful negotiation, ireallylovemusic finally gets the interview its always wanted.

geoff t from age of chance comes out of hiding.

read the results here

ta

mark e
ireallylovemusic

ARRGHH! Fucking brilliant mate. Looks like the AOC danger signal was stronger than I suspected.
Trying to find the discussion forum right about now.

Age Of Chance really changed my life as a Northern California teen-ager. Suddenly I had the guts to approach the goths, freaks, and "OUT CASTES" with a message and a meaning.

"WE DIG EVERYTHING, AND ARE SHOCKED BY NOTHING."

Introverted bookish virgin finds love and solace with like minded souls...

Respect.
AO