Grime and computer game music

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I dowloaded a Super Nintendo emulator and started playing Legend of Zelda, and the music took me back to when this was all very new and exciting. I thought a grime remix of the theme music would be good, then I realised that this type of music could well be a large influence on Grime. These guys have been raised on computergames and a lot of grime tunes have something epic (think of Davinches Last Night). Then I heard the Final Fantasy tune on a Committees set i downloaded (the one with Trim).
So guys, what dya think?

bruno

est malade
it's strange no one has exploited the 'cuter' end of the spectrum, like koji kondo or this sort of thing. not 'ruff' enough, i suppose, but in good hands...

Last edited:

gumdrops

wiley uses samples of computer FX for his beats. and dizzee sampled streetfighter didnt he? im trying to think of any other examples......

owen

there's a track from around 02-3 that i have on a pirate tape somewhere which was made up entirely of streetfighter samples. someone at start of it said 'this one's streetfighter geezer' so presumably that was what it was called.
generally i lose interest in grime the further away it gets from that cheap and nasty, tinny electronic thing. funny also the sounds seemed to be from early 90s games, things the producers would have played as kids, rather than the 'proper' music you get on games nowadays

nomos

Administrator
dexplicit has made a few tracks in that vein and one actually gives me vivid memories of working in a bowling alley with an arcade in the early 90s (as do 'achey breaky heart' and 'smells like teen spirit'). that could be your streetfighter track. "victory riddim," i think. though i could be wrong. i never actually played the games. i just sprayed shoes, fixed machines and cleaned up child/bowler mess. the game sounds were my soundtrack.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
what intrigues me is people who make videogame-like music not out of aesthetic choice, but because that is largely what they have heard in terms of music! i've met a few bedroom producers (of grime) on soulseek and they all have in common the playstation and games, a US fixation and surprisingly little garage, at least in their files. the music they make isn't rife with video game samples, it just uses the same language: very basic, dark synths, a looping minimalism of sorts. i'd love to illustrate this but i might be infringing 'copyrights', so i'll leave it as that. but boomnoise knows what i'm talking about (TIMID 1, remember?).

Last edited: