Good quality photo prints

Lichen

How do I go about getting decent quality prints of digital pics? Is it at all possible?

Advice gratefully received.

Thanks y'all

D

droid

A lot of high street shops do em. Just bring your memory card or camera (w/connector leads).

First thing though is to make sure your images are all of high enough resolution. Decent cameras will just about do a 10 x 8" print on the default settings, but yould be lucky to get a 3 x 5" out of some of the cheaper cameras...

D

droid

er... it depends on the resolution to be honest. 72dpi images will print out either very small or large and pixellated, higher resolution images will end up ok. If you have photoshop, open up your image and go into edit/image size on the top menu. the setting for a high resolution a4 image will be something like this:

Width: 20cm
Height: 28cm

Resolution: 300dpi

Often though, digital cameras take pictures at 72 dpi, but at super large printsize, so when you check the image size, it looks something ike this:

Width: 80cm
Height: 106cm

Resolution: 72dpi

This is fine as well, cos when you decrease the print size, the resolution increases.

Or - you could always just bring your camera in to a shop, get them to do a test print for you there and then, and judge by the results. You should also set your camera to its highest image setting if you plan on printing large images from it in the future.

Woebot

Lichen said:
How do I go about getting decent quality prints of digital pics? Is it at all possible?

Advice gratefully received.

Thanks y'all

having completely dismissed photo-printers i get totally wicked pictures from my canon iPR5200R.

buy the awesome kodak paper and you'll never step in bureau again.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
why not give photobox.co.uk a chance and report back here?

30 free photos to boot and Paypal payment as well and you can
get a calibration print to match your monitor as well.

they did a test in a recent PC Pro magazine on high street vs online photo shops vs
your own printer at home (cost, quality etc) and Photobox came out top.

haven't tried them myself yet; still got some photo paper to get rid off.

Last edited:

Lichen

Droid, Woebot, Ness Rowlah,

Between you you've covered home, high street, and postal possibilites.

Will consider them all.

Having precious pics of Lichen offspring only in a digital format is most un-nerving.

jenks

thread death
Lichen said:
Having precious pics of Lichen offspring only in a digital format is most un-nerving.

agree with this - i've got every digital junior jenks snap stored on a cd as well as on the pc and the best of them printed out - i used the local Kodak store - was pleased with the quality of reproduction but they did have a habit of cropping the tops unnecessarily.

was quite cheap too - especially if you're prepared to hang fire and print off over 50 at a time

dHarry

Technical FYI - never confuse screen resolution with paper'n'ink/print!!

Most computer screens display at 72 dots (of colour) per inch (DPI) while ink prints at 300 DPI, so to get an accurate pre-print view of the quality of your image, zoom into around 400% of its screen size - this is the level of detail you'll see on paper.