Grime...please recommend some for me

elgato

I just dont know
Hi, i am a newboy.

I was wondering whether anybody well versed in grime could point me in the direction of some stuff that Id maybe like. I have done a little digging here and there and thus far tunes which float my boat are...

Macabre Unit - It's All About
Jammer - Fire Hydrant
Capsule (Is this one by Slimzee and Bionics btw?)
Footsie - Scars Remix
Footsie - It's War
Plasticman - almost everything (particularly Shockwave and Section 7)
2nd II None - Stomp Jigga

quite a random selection, i guess im mostly into either sparse minimal shit or i dont know really, i dunno what distinguishes plasticman and the like. It probs shows that im primarily a dubstep head, but I love the rhythmic innovation and hard edge which grime can bring (although mostly dont find the synths pleasing to the ol ear... im not big on the sawtooth). Dont know how much consistency there is in the tunes i pointed out, but help would be very much appreciated :)

gumdrops

youd probably like mark one's stuff (try and find plodder), as well as geeneus and most of the stuff on plasticman's terrorhythm label and slimzee's slimzos label (though i dont think theyve put anything out for ages).

elgato

I just dont know
Yeh thanks man, I shouldve mentioned them, Ive already checked them, Jamnite is badboy, and I love markone's stuff. Safe

elgato

I just dont know
Well ultimately i would be looking to buy vinyls if i feel the tunes enough, I already own most of those i mentioned (except Fire Hydrant...i want it so badly), but i guess just general directions to follow...little clips on recordshop websites, mixes, whatever, I just want to find out about the sound and see what there is out there. Sorry if there is a bit of a lack of focus in my request, i guess im just curious to see if theres more out there for me than ive found so far

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Best thing for vinyls is to just go through the online stores and listen

Uptown, rhythm division and independance are normally very up to date.

Can always listen to shows and check tracklistings for names as well.

nomos

Administrator
Yeah the mix CDs and CD packs at Uptown and Rhythm Division are great places to start. I'd definitely recommend the Rinse pack and also the Sidewinder packs, the Barking and Dogenham mix, and some of the DVDs. Also, Logan has a two Roll Deep mixtapes on his MySpace. Mixes and radio sets are always the best way to find out about what's happeining.

Also, Simon Silverdollar's blog was always a great place to read about tracks, artists and what was happening on the pirates: http://silverdollarcircle.blogspot.com/ It goes back to 2003 and might help you piece together some of the background. I learned a lot there as I was starting to get into it.

S

simon silverdollar

sounds to me like you'd be into j-sweet's stuff. minimal, not heavy on the saw tooth, and pretty dark. and very good. check out 'kerb' and 'gutter' especially.

gumdrops

i second whoever said you should get rinsessions. it is essential. i think youd like plasticmans mix on there a lot. you should also maybe try and hunt down plasticmans mixes which are circulating around the net. also, if you can find the underground express dvd/mix cd package, it has a really good instrumental mix from slimzee on it. really good stuff.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Question...

I've been putting my peoples here in the US on to UK Hip Hop and Grime for a while now (after years of playing 1xtra versions of Kano, Dizzee Rascal, Lethal Bizzle, Roll Deep, Wiley, Durrty Goodz, JME, and Skepta joints, heads start nodding and people begin asking questions). In Hip Hop, heads FOREVER debate who are the most crucial or important artist to the past/current era of a particular musical form. With that being said, starting from the beginning, who are Grime's most important influences and artists (apart from the usual suspects: Pay As U Go Kartel, Oxide & Neutrino, So Solid, etc.) leading up to who making that essential heat RIGHT THIS MOMENT (include single recordings and/or albums). Feel free to leave link to bloggers that have ALREADY DONE THIS, I'm sure.

P.S. What does an American have to do to get a damn Region 1/All-Region DVD copy of Revolver and Bullet Boy? All of my usual sources can only hook me up with Asian (China/Korea/Japan/India, etc.) or French joints. One.