Piano music

Leo

i seem to be in the midst of a piano phase, listening to lots of both old (paul bley, necks) and new-ish (gonzales "solo piano," max richter "blue notebooks" on fat cat, goldmund "corduroy road" on type) stuff. most of it kind of quiet and dreamy. maybe i'm just gettting old... :)

anyone have recommendations on other cds along these lines? could be indie electronic/acoustic (lik ethe above mentioned), real jazz (never explored keith jarrett...thought?), modern classical, whatever. i'm open to suggestion.

thanks much.

Leo

Tate said:
maybe this dissensus thread will help

yeah...i remember (and even participated in) this thread, thanks for the reminder.

most if that discussion was about jazz piano stuff, was wondering this time if anyone had any recommendations on other styles as well (indie, modern classical, etc.)

zhao

there are no accidents
yes I like Keith Jarret. Paris Concert is especially slow and dreamy without ever succumbing to cheap sentimentality or cliche romanticism.

and on the dreamy tip... did you read on the other thread my recommendation for this

this might sound silly but to me it is the process of the setting sun and essence of dusk transcribed for piano.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
There's so much great piano music. On the top of my head:

Bach (obviously): Das Wohltemperierte Klavier and the Goldberg Variations. And not necessarily the Gould version. Gould is kinda overrated IMO.

Debussy: Preludes and Images

Janacek: In the Mist and On an Overgrown Path.

Bartok: Mikrokosmos

Messiaen: Vingt Regards (as mentioned in the other thread)

Ives: Concord Sonata

Riley: Harp of New Albion

...and yeah, certainly Jarrett.

Rambler

Awanturnik
I didn't mention this on the other thread, but this is one of my favourite piano records - stripped down, minimalistic, completely gorgeous.