Kitchens of Distinction thread

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Proudly gay dream-pop band that were totally ignored in their day, and if they were around today would be as big as Scissor Sisiters and Antony and the Johnsons. discuss.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
your question was whether they would be as big as scissor sisters /antony and the johnsons. thay wouldn't because they were shite.

they weren't unknown either, being on one littel indian.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Tim F said:
they wouldn't, but they were very good.

For what it's worth, I reckon they were as good as Bronski Beat on one level and AR Kane on another

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
you really can't underrate Love Is Hell, nor the "Elephantine" EP...great stuff, surely the equal of AR Kane's best...they seemed to lose their way with Strange Free World, IMO...they seemed almost content, no longer the "Smiths of dream-pop"...further releases saw diminishing returns...seems hard to believe now that Patrick being gay was such a big deal at the time, but then again, that "time" was 16 years ago!

tate

Brown Sugar
Blast from the past indeed. Saw them play a tiny college bar in evanston, illinois on the Strange Free World tour spring of 1991. Standing in front of the guitar player, I was quite impressed with his use of effects processors. 'Course I wouldn't see MBV for another year or so . . . . I do still dig out Strange Free World every once in a blue moon, have always had a mild fondness for the album.

Tim F

I actually think <i>The Death of Cool</i> is their best album.

<i>Love Is Hell</i> is inconsistent - the best stuff ("Prize", "The Third Time We Opened The Capsule") is awesome, but it almost sounds like they didn't realise how awesome those tracks were because a lot of the other stuff doesn't exploit their harmonic kettle sound nearly as much as you'd expect.

<i>Strange Free World</i> is the opposite, <i>too</I> consistent, and he was writing too much about straight relationships on this record, it seemed like a weird cop-out.

<i>The Death of Cool</i> gets the balance right: nice mixture of concise dream-POP ("When In Heaven" and "Smiling" are irresistible) and long moody dreamscape pieces ("Gone World Gone", "Mad As Snow" etc.). Amazing production throughout.