REGGAE/DANCEHALL - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Hope noone minds my posting yet another one of these catchall threads, but this seemed to be the (a) missing link here.

I'm really feeling Busy Signal on Bad English now, also Stick Up (esp Idonia "Kingfish"), also still **Badman Forward**. Have to say I wasn't too excited by the new Sizzla album though, despite high expectations, nicest thing for me was still the title track.

ripley

Eric said:
Hope noone minds my posting yet another one of these catchall threads, but this seemed to be the (a) missing link here.

I'm really feeling Busy Signal on Bad English now, also Stick Up (esp Idonia "Kingfish"), also still **Badman Forward**. Have to say I wasn't too excited by the new Sizzla album though, despite high expectations, nicest thing for me was still the title track.

nice one.

Bed noise! loving the Lady Saw. Galore riddim. squeaky squeaky squeaky!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
what do people use as their access points for dancehall? i listen to 1Xtra, particularly Robbo Ranx's show, but what other essential sources are there?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
my pitchfork column!
kidding aside, 1xtra is as good as anything.
most important, though, are recommendations in shops.
these are generally pretty unbeatable.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Cash Money and Cash Flow juggling CDs

And Goldfinger if you can be bothered to go the traditional note pad and pen route

stelfox

Beast of Burden
The Lutan Fyah album is pretty great and the Macka Diamond one is funny, too.
The tune that's absolutely ruled this year for me is Vybsy Versa Love by Kartel feat Barrington Levy, though.
Also people should look out for the Fisherman Style riddim album on Blood & Fire, versioning "Fisherman" from Heart Of The Congos over 2 CDs, with voicings by just about everyone that matters, from Horace Andy to Paul St Hilaire.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
stelfox said:
my pitchfork column!

Yeah, I tried to order that Spare Change mix you recommended by the were going to charge twice the price of the CD for bloody postage!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
stelfox said:
Also people should look out for the Fisherman Style riddim album on Blood & Fire, versioning "Fisherman" from Heart Of The Congos over 2 CDs, with voicings by just about everyone that matters, from Horace Andy to Paul St Hilaire.
That gives me the horn!

I've been so wrapped up in dubstep this year I've been neglecting new dancehall.

Bought a load of old roots stuff yesterday though; a Wail'M'Soul'M compo that's absolutely magnificent. And The Bunny Lee Rocksteady Years compo on Moll Selektah is excellent.

DJ Lioness

Blackdown said:
what do people use as their access points for dancehall? i listen to 1Xtra, particularly Robbo Ranx's show, but what other essential sources are there?

Allan Brando - Woah FM
Crystal Blue - Woah FM
Some of the people on Blues FM if you actually like hearing good music and interviews 4-6months before the radio one crew start playing them :)

Haf Fi Wuk Har by Sizzla & Jigsy King.

Start with Sizzla over the backing from "Funky Town" by Lipps Inc and just when you are thinking, what a load of cheesy shit, it drops into some heavy ragga beat and Jigsy King's BIG voice....

gabriel

The Heatwave
yeah i love those funky town remixes, they're wicked - theres another sizzla (hear mi nuh) and one by tanya stephens called light it up. the dancehall riddim mixed in is kopa

Eric

Mr Moraigero
here's a question relating to dancehall sources. anyone know how long the time lag usually is between the appearance of 45s of a riddim and it starting to show up on mixtapes like Cash Money?

D

droid

The big selectors will often have a riddim on a mix before it comes out on 45, or before it makes it onto the radio in the UK...

gabriel

The Heatwave
many producers release promo cds of their riddims months and months before they appear on vinyl, which are then shared on soulseek etc, so its not even just big selectors who can get things before they're on 7" - though it's still them that get things 'first' of course... i guess its them that share the stuff...

milkandhoney

i know this isn't new but i just heard vybz kartel on nukie riddim the other day and it's too funny (yeah i am easily amused...) can anyone recommend me any other songs with comically over the top english accents please? dancehall songs obv..not bruza :mad:

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
viktorvaughn said:
OK, totally basic question, how is dancehall sonically different from reggae?
Ta.

dancehall is a sub-genre of reggae, unless you're talking about another sub- genre, eg-roots

luka

uh, thats not a satisfactory answer to question. i can't answer the question becasue i know nothing about music but surely rhythm related, beat patterns or something.

the only song i want to hear at the moment is tony matterhorn dutty wine. i love that. is it old or something? how come everyone dont' loive it>?

Status
Not open for further replies.