Ten-day holiday, but where?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
OK, I have a ten-day holiday to spend somewhere in the world as of next week, and am looking for suggestions. Naturally I have my own ideas - Vietnam, Salvador, the Trans-Siberian - but would appreciate any Dissensian input too! Am looking to be charmed and overawed - surely not too much to ask.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I was going to go to Istanbul last month but circumstances decreed that I lost £600 and was unable to go. So, I can't tell you what it's like but I've heard it's good and if you make it you can tell me what I missed out on.

bruno

est malade
baboon2004 said:
OK, I have a ten-day holiday to spend somewhere in the world as of next week, and am looking for suggestions. Naturally I have my own ideas - Vietnam, Salvador, the Trans-Siberian - but would appreciate any Dissensian input too! Am looking to be charmed and overawed - surely not too much to ask.
you could do worse than come to chile!*. most people head to the atacama desert and then fly down to the southernmost regions, and rightly so as these parts are spectacularly beautiful. but there are nice spots in between as well, the island of chiloé, the carretera austral, etc. the country is not as cheap as the rest of south america, but it is secure and easy to travel through (despite the geography).

*this is me in tourist pamphlet mode

polystyle

Trippin

hey Brun
Looks like u are in Italy now ?

How about Bucharest ? Berlin ? Uzhgorad ?

10 day seems too short for a trip to Asia

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
IdleRich said:
Well, I was going to go to Istanbul last month but circumstances decreed that I lost £600 and was unable to go. So, I can't tell you what it's like but I've heard it's good and if you make it you can tell me what I missed out on.

Very good recommendation, which I might well follow. yeah 10-14 days probably is too short for Asia, and moreover I haven't time to get those jabs which would probably be prudent to get.

Kiev and Sarajevo are also vying for space in my plan.

polystyle

Trans Carparthians

I hear you on Kiev ...

One of my groups will prolly do Euro Tour in June and when it's over i am mapping out plan to head to Ukraine.
Mother was from there and so there is this compulsion to at least dip into Ukraine this time for a look - see.

Uzgorad got an interesting write up in The (NY) Times some months bk and suddenly brought this spot on the map into sharper focus , as one of the junctions /edge towns into Ukraine from the West , it looks interesting .

Lvov is the next biggest city along the way to Kiev and is still leaning to the West , and from what I understand Kiev is firmly in the more East /Russia leaning end of the country.

Funny there is an ad out now in town that says in some words ' see Kiev before the Guidebooks do it in'

Best of luck wid it and have a safe travel , tell us about it when you get back !