V for Vendetta

tryptych

waiting for a time
V for Vendetta exhibition

There's an exhibition at the Guardian newsroom this week (til the 17th) of original art from "V for Vendetta", motivated by the upcoming film release (which I remain apprehensive about "V..." is one of my all time favourite graphic novels and made a deep impression on me when I was young).

Worth checking out to see Dave Lloyd's inks on a large scale, and the gel over watercolours (is this an unusual way of producing comic art? I realised how little I know about the process when I was there).

Most curious were two items - a plastic V mask, and a "V for vendetta" record sleeve, featuring art. Turns out to be by David J of Bauhaus/Love & Rockets - http://www.discogs.com/release/536436 . There was nothing about the record or the mask on display

Is the record any good, I wonder? And where did the mask come from?

Heavy Exhibition!

Went down to this on Saturday - Great exhibition! I'm also a fan of the graphic novel whose skeptical of the film version, saying that the chance to see the black and white inked pages was great. Missed the David Lloyd talk though!

zhao

there are no accidents
god... read this about 50 times when I was 15 or 16... it is also my favorite of all time probably. very excited about the movie - optimistic (heard that they didn't dumb it down too much at all).

polystyle

I just saw this yesterday after hearing the details / tribulations on and from the Alan Moore , the original writer.
There were some problems in story and dialogue , and adapting a comic cannot be easy ,
but overall i didn't mind spending my $10.75 to see it.
Lots of reminders of the "1984" remake once you see John Hurt's mug up there on the big wide screen,
but he gets his.

Is it playing in London yet ?
I'm guessing it's not , or there would have been some posts on it ...

zhao

there are no accidents
I loved it. given the limitations of the medium, I thought it was a great filmic adaptation of an epic story (which I've loved for years), and just about as subversive as a mainstream action movie can be.

polystyle

A lot of night musik

Thanks dHarry for the link , enjoyed his review
, had the same reaction to the 'V torturing Evie' sequence which when it played out in the theatre was a bit 'huh ? , nah, really' , would you agree Confucius ?

The mapping of America's ill's (some real , some contrived) on the UK was hmmm, interesting to see ,
Like to see what Londoners think of the movie

And I hear you Luca , the poster here is well, looks not SO inviting !

In the Steve S review he mentions that seeing the movie may well serve to let people get their kicks seeing
the big Parlament building blow up and then they will not be pissed off enough to go out and have their own revo , but I dunno about that.
I came out of the movie pretty pissed off at the load of *hit we are all have being handed daily by the powers that be , glad my new group Dystopians is well underway by now and I have a place to channel it !

Also it did appear the Matrix Bro's were trying to show us the 'multitudes' per se

So I'm happy wit it and pissed off too
And it's def one for those who luv to quote !
Cheers / No fear

zhao

there are no accidents
polystyle desu said:
was a bit 'huh ? , nah, really' , would you agree Confucius ?

the poster here is well, looks not SO inviting !

In the Steve S review he mentions that seeing the movie may well serve to let people get their kicks seeing
the big Parlament building blow up and then they will not be pissed off enough to go out and have their own revo

Also it did appear the Matrix Bro's were trying to show us the 'multitudes' per se

what do you mean by "huh?, nah, really"? do you mean the sequence is unbelievable? or unrealistic? or the plot twist is sadistic or out of character (for V)? I think it works in terms of story telling as well as makes sense - the only way to arrive at the kind of conclusions that V did, to be reborn, is to go through the same trials and tribulations... and she had to be taught a lesson for her betrayal (an act of fear).

sure intellectuals can argue until the end of time about how this slick and cinematic representation of revolt functions, and I could engage in some of that myself... and maybe it's my deep connection to the story since adolescence... but I say turn off your cynical distance, and just feel the story... it's powerful and comes from a real place.

and what do you mean by "multitudes"?

polystyle

Crowds & Power

Being i did not know the story going in I found the 'V torturing Evie' sequence unbelievable,
Like it was stuck in to make the point that 'only now she was ready'
But point taken Confucius - i'd LIKE to know the story and will prolly seek out the original.

Re: 'Multitudes' , the usage comes from the recent Hardt/Negri book where they tag multitudes as
the crowd made of individuals , moving together but maintaining their personailty & traits , not mushed/ incited into a 'Crowd mind/ mentality'.
The review dHarry refers to it ...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched this a couple of weeks ago and I really quite enjoyed it. Possibly my expectations were lowered by poor reviews and the fact that Alan Moore had dissociated himself from it (although I've since heard that isn't necessarily a reflection on the film, he just hates the idea of someone else re-working his stories and therefore doesn't want to be involved in any adaptations at all - does anyone know if that's true?) but I thought it was a fairly faithfull attempt to bring the comic to the screen.
It's a long time since I read the comic but I quite enjoyed it although I felt it was quite naively written and simplistic. I thought that the main problems in the film were inherent in the original, I agree that the torture scenes seem very strange but when it happened in the film it brought back memories of thinking the same about the comic.
Natalie Portman was fairly good although her accent wobbled at times, I think she made a lot better fist of it than a lot of actors do when they are trying to put on an accent.

sufi

lala
up to 15000 japanese fans marked the opening of the film there by donning the mask according to the papers today, there was a cool picture on the feature

i saw it & enjoyed anyway - at least the 1st 2/3, i read the original series, but never got to the end due to warrior comic folding sometime in the late 80's (?), just caught up with the DC sponsored finale (in colour :mad: )... still confused :)

some 'real' anarchists are already up in arms... http://aforanarchy.com/

zhao

there are no accidents
holy shit the original was black and white ?!?!?! :eek:

there was atleast one thing which was not in the original story:

that sequence about the Chandler's rise to power - stealing elections, religious fundamentalism, engineering an attack on civilians and framing it on Islamic Terrorists, using that as an excuse to wage war, taking away civil liberties, spying on people's phone conversations...

pretty incredible that they snuck this past the censors.

a friend of mine was saying, much in the vein of what Zizek and a lot of people here might say - that in the end it's just entertainment which distracts from real anger and revolt. but on the flip one can see it as dissent putting on the "mask" of blockbuster spectacle - it's the only way to get these ideas spread on a mass scale.

I think it's fucking awesome. did I say that already?

tryptych

waiting for a time
IdleRich said:
I watched this a couple of weeks ago and I really quite enjoyed it. Possibly my expectations were lowered by poor reviews and the fact that Alan Moore had dissociated himself from it (although I've since heard that isn't necessarily a reflection on the film, he just hates the idea of someone else re-working his stories and therefore doesn't want to be involved in any adaptations at all - does anyone know if that's true?)

In this interview he goes further than that in saying he wants his name taken off the books he doesn't own as well, and wants to stop earning money from them.

D

droid

confucius said:
holy shit the original was black and white ?!?!?! :eek:

Was it? I remember seeing the original comics, and Im sure theyre all done in the same washed out watercolours, as is my first print (preen :D ) graphic novel.

The colouring was done on Cells though - so it is possible theres a B/W version floating about.

D84

spackb0y said:
In this interview he goes further than that in saying he wants his name taken off the books he doesn't own as well, and wants to stop earning money from them.

He sounds so forlorn...

Surely there must be a decent lawyer out there who could possibly help him out? From what little I know if he can show he was misled or signed under false representations, as he says in the interview, the contract isn't worth squat.

D

droid

Have you read any of his non-comic writings over the last few years? Hes on a totally different plane of existence at this stage, so I dont think he really cares about the legal/monetary aspects of things anymore.

His correspondence with Dave Sim from 2000/2001 or so is particularly illuminating/insane...

D84

No I haven't to be honest. I just googled that correspondence which looks interesting. I'll read it properly at some later date.

Fair enough re moving on though but still getting help (or someone offering it) and taking action is probably better than feeling helpless etc. - assuming it is at all possible of course, for all I know he's probably tried already...

D

droid

Hes had problems with just about every large organisation hes ever dealt with - from his legendary hatred of Marvel over 'Miracleman', to his well publicised rift with DC.

I guess he finds conversations with multi-faceted higher beings a bit more engaging than the tawdry world of corporate appropriation at this stage...

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
It was originally in black and white in Warrior comic.... later colourised when released as a stand-alone comic.