How big is your .....

henry s

Street Fighting Man
most of my music is on CD's, probably 2,500 or so...LP's are probably in the 200-300 range...(most of which were purchased in my pre-CD high school days, many of which were lent out, never ot be recovered)...I also have a few boxes of cassette tapes, which I never listen to...

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Blackdown said:
bigger the record collection the bigger the backbreak when you move house!

absolutely, and tends to be the only time you get to see the amount of crap in there too. I'm moving in a month so perhaps a cue for a bit of a cull...some trip hop anyone?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
yeah me and my girl are both DJs, and we had to move a couple times last year. If I never have to carry another milkcrate of 12"s up 4 flights of stairs again it will be too soon. This is a MAJOR serious argument in favor of mp3s, they're not so fucking heavy.

martin

----
These volumes are incredible. I have about 400 CDs, 20 7"s and 50 LPs / 12"s, and I consider that to be way too much. I normally end up giving stuff away to people, so it kind of diminishes itself naturally.

soundslike1981

martin said:
These volumes are incredible. I have about 400 CDs, 20 7"s and 50 LPs / 12"s, and I consider that to be way too much. I normally end up giving stuff away to people, so it kind of diminishes itself naturally.

While I could easily purge 300-400 CDs, I still have the constant feeling that I've scarcely heard anything---which, relatively speaking, is quite true. Still, while bad for the bank account, it means my primary passion/addiction/source-of-faith-in-humanity will never get boring.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I have over 1000 Lps/12"s and another 50 7's. Add to that well over 1500 cds, and thats a lot of music.

After my last move, i reexamined how i buy records. Ever since i began buying music, i would constantly buy things on whims, or things i kind of liked at bargain prices. especially at thrift stores and garage sales. but after moving them all, i changed my mind. i dont need every herb alpert album on vinyl. i shouldnt be buying vinyl becuase im interested in a group necessarily (12's excluded). Im about to start a process of getting rid of about 300 LPs soon, as I am in a minimization mode for this spring.

also, my cd collection exploded when i started djing weddings and corporate events 3 years ago. then, i had a need for every type of music, and began burning all my clients' cds. never before would i have assumed id own The Bee-Gees Greates Hits.

D7_bohs

forgot to show you mine ..... 1500Lps, no idea how many 7" - 3-400 cds; only buy CDs now when there's no choice.....

petergunn

plywood violin
Freakaholic said:
After my last move, i reexamined how i buy records. Ever since i began buying music, i would constantly buy things on whims, or things i kind of liked at bargain prices. especially at thrift stores and garage sales. but after moving them all, i changed my mind. i dont need every herb alpert album on vinyl. i shouldnt be buying vinyl becuase im interested in a group necessarily (12's excluded). Im about to start a process of getting rid of about 300 LPs soon, as I am in a minimization mode for this spring.

i'm at about 3,000 LP's and 12"s and i've come to the same conclusion. Sadly, whenever i try to thin out the herd, i get very sentimental or paranoid ("what if i NEED that?") so lately the only thing i sell are expensive records i never play... also, there are times where i score collections of stuff i wasn't into at the time (old country and acid house, to think of a few examples) and then a few years later, start to really like it, so i'm really gun shy about dumping stuff unless i'm POSITIVE i'll never have a use for it, sampling, listening, or otherwise...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
At the moment I have 845 12"/LP's (I keep them all in a database) of which I want to get rid of about 150, and 2 shoeboxes of CD's (around 40).

DJ PIMP

150gigs mirrored on 2 drives + 10 or so cds.

When I get round to picking up larger hard drives the accumulation will recommence.

Hurrah for less corporeal music.