Eno's "scenius"

nomos

Administrator
Maybe someone can help me with this. I've searched a few times for the origin of the Eno neologism "scenius" without luck. blissblogger and others have helped to popularise it. In A Year with Swollen Appendices: Brian Eno's Diary, Eno says...

A few years ago I came up with a new word... I call this ‘scenius’... This word is now starting to gain currency- the philosopher James Ogilvy uses it in his most recent book.
But that's all I can find about it (though I haven't searched through Olgivy's books). Did he write more about it elsewhere, earlier? Or was it a word he would throw around in conversation or correspondence, and then finally got around to writing about in the diary?

Last edited:

DJL

i'm joking
Isn't 'scenius' just a term to describe the collective conciousness at work? Maybe certain people are better tuned or is it (more likely I think) that most simply haven't been thinking about our race as a whole leaving those who have free reign to seem like they know it all??? The toll of what started in the eighties, was hidden and then integrated in the nineties, and now, post 9/11, is back out in the open is (very recently IMO) becoming clear to the general public. I'm refering to the lazy transferal of business and profit principles, logic and, most importantly, morals to other human endeavour in chase of success and profit. As a result, success, innovation and development over this time period now appears giddy and out of control to my retrospective eyes. The expense of this action has been a slow removal of morals, compassion and love from everything. The whole dance music continuum seems to echo this theory. Whats good is that it feels like a corner has now finally been turned and things are looking up.

I have no idea on the origin of the word 'scenius' though, sorry! :D

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
DJL said:
I have no idea on the origin of the word 'scenius' though, sorry! :D
thanks. i think you're generally right. 'scenius' points to what should be an obvious point, that a scene is greater than the sum of its public faces. i'm still curious whether he filled out the idea a little more elsewhere but i don't suppose it needs much explanation.

Last edited: