triple 6 mafia

bruno

est malade
i would like to praise three six mafia's first incarnation as triple six mafia, right up to the time they became three six.

i have never heard more hypnotic, slow-moving, evil, violent, obscene, hiss-laden, speaker-destroying, 'car test'-ready, avant-garde music! this was 1999-1994 and they were basically in a parallel dimension, creating the template for all that was to come (along with the rza).

i urge everyone to deplete amazon.com of their stock of underground volume 1 as it contains the most amazing music that will ever grace your ears before death.

now i will listen to 'gotta touch em' for the tenth time and go to sleep.

i this, i that..

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
that sounds tight! but if I buy it and can't get buck to it I'm a come over and pee on your couch.

petergunn

plywood violin
word.......

early triple 6 is the bomb...

SLOB ON MY KNOB LIKE CORN ON THE COB
LICK ON MY DICK AND DO YOUR JOB

but, seriously, i was lucky to have a friend from TN in college and got turned onto that shit early... i have Chapter 2, wolrd domination on wax and to me, that kills their new stuff... stuff like "i aintcha friend" is nasty... i miss gangsta boo, her voice was like a buzzsaw...

bruno

est malade
really, it baffles me that they don't get credit for their early output. maybe they do and i haven't seen it? i always see praise for mystic stylez, though, when in truth only half the tunes on that are good (well, more than half). whereas on the underground tape it's all killer. and ridin in the chevy, i could listen to this on loop forever..

zhao

there are no accidents
I got that underground Vol. 1 in the mail and just popped it in... nice. strangely musical - all these ghostly melodies and shoe-gazerish (?!?!) tones. sounds real good. to me there is a very interesting disconnect between the form and content

zhao

there are no accidents
shit is straight ill. sophisticated almost avant-garde dissonance sound design, amazing quality sample usage and treatment, and the minimalist repetition of spoken phrases "takin' ova this shit. takin' ova this shit. takin' ova this shit... "

thanks for turning me onto this

stelfox

Beast of Burden
early triple six shit is dope as you like, but then again i quite like them now too.
it is wicked, syrupy (as you hear bun-b explain on beanie segal's purple rain), dark and brooding stuff.
slob on my knob is a horrible song, though. but somehow it sounds great as a baltimore club remix on one of the mixtapes k-swift gave me.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
unlike Stelf I most definitely like the older stuff better. the sounds were more interesting, and the tunes were consistently solid. whereas on Most Known Unknown there is only 1 very good song - Got it For Sale. the rest is BS as far as I'm concerned.

yeah Mystic Styles is their first record as Three Six, too bad that download is super low quality compression files.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
2stepfan said:
Is this hip hop or what?

Anyone want to do a beginner's guide?

Triple Six Maffia, 90s Memphis hiphop, heavy reliance on Satanic imagery due to one of the band listening to alot of metal. Early work is grungey, off-key and very dark, exactly what one would have wanted from West Coast hiphop in their smoking formaldehyde days. ( true! )
Cited themselves as inventing a kinda doubletime flow, had a war with BoneThugs n Harmony about it.
Later records saw them slightly changing name and moving into a more commercial vein, but even then were early crossover pioneers of the 'sizzurp' sound later taken into prominence by Swisha House n all them. Just won Oscar for 'Hard Out Here For a Pimp' on the Hustle and Flow soundtrack, not one of their better tracks but nice to see them get some vindication for producing some of the more dissonant hiphop that's been produced for the past 15 years.
Subsequently just sacked one of their members, quite nastily.
You can buy the T-shirt on the Stay High video here
http://liquidblue.com/index.cfm/fus...bcat/skulls/CODE/31748/skull-jumbo-green.html
I like them alot, alot.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Three 6 Mafia

The best thing about them is the OCCASIONAL classic beat made by Juicy J and DJ Paul. They aren't NEAR touching the catalogues of other great Hip Hop crews or producers, but they have many crews and groups in the South/Midwest owe them a debt of gratitude since they influenced that whole area greatly with their early work...The Hypnotize Minds Camp couldn't contend (on the mic OR on the boards) with Wu Tang Clan and the Wu Elements, Boot Camp Click and the Beatminers, The Gangstarr Foundation and DJ Premier, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Death Row Records camp, Dr, Dre, Daz and Warren G or Hieroglyphics, The Beatnuts, etc. so on the East Coast we paid them NO MIND until "Tear The Club Up '97" dropped...the Wu and BCC were being phased out of the radio rotation in favor of No Limit and Cash Money songs...One.

bruno

est malade
i think they're on par with wu tang. maybe not lyrically, but then three 6 use voices as texture. it wouldn't make any difference if they slurred incoherently or sang like gods, the important thing is that they're obscene and it complements the beats, which are always amazing. all the rest you mentioned are probably better production-wise, but that doesen't mean anything.

gumdrops

stelfox said:
slob on my knob is a horrible song, though. but somehow it sounds great as a baltimore club remix on one of the mixtapes k-swift gave me.

it sounds even better on the ghetto tech remix that dj assault and disco d gave me when i was round their house for tea and biscuits the other afternoon. also sounds better as a miami bass song on the remix that dj magic mike gave me when i was riding shotgun with him last weekend.

lol

Last edited:

Precious Cuts

anyone following the yo gotti v three 6 mafia beef?
Drama's calling him "the real king of memphis". and he tears them apart on his new Gangsta Grillz tape, which is probably the best Gangsta Grillz since Trap or Die. I hope they come back with some responses

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
I'm listening to Underground Volume 1 now, and it's good, and kind of sounds like what I always hope crunk is going to sound like, whereas instead it's just some guy shouting about his pimp cup over a beat that sounds like a ringtone.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Precious Cuts said:
wasn't that Twista?

I totally don't know, I know they made some ferocious records off it though, whatever it was. I'd like to know who else says they did it first, whether it was a bastardisation of 'diggedy' or whether it came from somewhere else?

gumdrops

ChineseArithmetic said:
I'm listening to Underground Volume 1 now, and it's good, and kind of sounds like what I always hope crunk is going to sound like, whereas instead it's just some guy shouting about his pimp cup over a beat that sounds like a ringtone.

listen to the lil jon albums throw your hood up or kings of crunk. crunk is/was obviously influenced by get buck music (ie what three-six were doing early on) but its quite distinct in its own right. it was also quite brilliant, although a lot of people seem to have gotten the wrong idea about what songs are crunk and which arent.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Nope!

Precious Cuts said:
anyone following the yo gotti v three 6 mafia beef?
Drama's calling him "the real king of memphis". and he tears them apart on his new Gangsta Grillz tape, which is probably the best Gangsta Grillz since Trap or Die. I hope they come back with some responses

The BEST Gangsta Grillz CD hands down was DJ Drama & Little Brother's "Separate But Equal"...the most FAMOUS and POPULAR one is Young Jeezy's "Trap Or Die". It made him into a star overnight, damn near. One.

Last edited: