Prinz Thomas

Lichen

I've just emerged from a deeply enjoyable tune on the radio - Prinz Thomas I think.

Does anyone know which of his records I could pick up for similarly bubbling, charming experiences?

3underscore

His album with Lindstrom this year on eskimo, or any of the multitude of classic tunes and remixes that Lindstrom has put out in the past couple of years.

Lichen

The Cheese and Grain (or Cheesy Groin as its hilariously known) in Frome I can do, the Old Blue Last I can't.

Thanks though.

Tomtefar

It is usually called "Space Disco". To me the texture is very simliar to that of old underground disco records, like Harry Thumann's "Underwater" for example. Lindstrøm's "Another Station" from earlier this year is a superb representative of this sound and so is Prins Thomas & Lindstrøm's "E2-E4 Tribute".

juliand

I should add: it's Prins Thomas versus Prinz. Important for searching.

I actually like his solo stuff under the name Major Swellings better than the Lindstrom & Prins Thomas record, which I think is hit or miss (what hits, though). It's bizarre, intricate, prog-disco.

Look for their radio sets if you can find them--they blow the records away. Beats in Space last year and especially the ones from Japan which I got off the web a few months ago. Shinjuku FM I think.

See also Todd Terje, whose edits in this genre I think are pretty wonderful--and better than the more talked-about Lindstrom and Thomas. The Tangoterje remix of Michael Jackson's "I Can't Help It" is particularly worth a listen.

Tim F

The <i>Prima Norsk 3: Space Disco</i> comp from last year is a great and handy round-up of a lot of stuff from Thomas, Lindstrom and related artists. Every track is great!