Who isn't on myspace?

Woebot

Quite impressed to see Derrick May, Carl Craig, Juan Atkins all with their myspace profiles!

What other famous musicians have myspace pages?

Can you provide a link to them?

dominic

Beast of Burden
it's an interesting way to network, flirt with women, and construct one's (fictional) identity via taste in music and people

very narcissistic game -- which is why i'm vulnerable to its charms

too bad rupert murdoch owns the damn thing

Last edited:

jack

doing my dissertation on memorialising people through myspace, so I'm almost utterly sick of the thing... but not quite.

ricardo villalobos, robag whrume, carl craig, mark broom are all recent additions to my friends list

zhao

there are no accidents
Sun Ra is a friend of mine... he's even made it to top 8! (along with Dizzee and Noam)

corneilius

myspacecadet

I am not not on myspace. Though I did set up a music page www.myspace.com/unsignablecorni and then lost the password to that account, and the password to my eamil account I set up for it, so it's buggered really. Ha ha ha ha. Still there's a few tunes there .....

My operational one is http://www.myspace.com/djlookwood and I have Brian Eno, Nick Harper, The YAP (I minute Silence lead vocalist), Damien Dempsey, Bono and Bob Geldof (of course! - I have sent them details of my songs, knowing full well that these accounts are set up by others), Carrie Tree, Martha Tilston and loads of other good friends of mine who make stunning music I love - the great unknown!

I like it for the contacts I have made with cool rebellious intelligent people/profiles - I have learnt a thing or two (like here) and then there's the obviously entertaining 'republicans who love Bush' type groups - fun for a good goading every now and again.

I have no fans, nobody from myspace comes to any of my gigs, which is fine. :cool:

Woebot

dominic said:
why aren't you on myspace?

isnt it really loathsome? all the worst aspect of blogging writ large....i'll link you if you'll link me.

i mean i understand musicians joining up, its a cheap promotional tool and most of them haven't anything worthwhile to say ;)

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Aside from the obvious promotional benefits (for bands, nights, mags etc), yes Woebot is right, it’s all a bit shallow and nauseating. There is a sense of you’ve set up you’re page, put in all your favourite bands, tele programmes, movies, your mottos, you’ve stuck up a carefully choreographed picture of yourself looking a bit y’know meaningful, you’ve asked loads of people to be your friend, and amazingly they’ve all obliged (even if they are world famous rap stars)….and then….what?

dominic

Beast of Burden
WOEBOT said:
isnt it really loathsome?

i think it's like a collective narcissistic fantasy

kinda ties in w/ k-punk's account of how young people today are prone to some "fantasy" of celebritydom

(i.e., every person on myspace is at the "center" of his own world of relationships, both to music and people)

of course i see much of myself in k-punk's account of young people -- i.e., both the depressive hedonia and the tendency to narcissistic fantasy

i try to justify being on myspace as a way to promote parties -- i.e., utterly hedonistic affairs -- but in truth people on myspace are so bombarded by "bulletins" promoting events around town that odds are 20-to-1 that any bulletin a person sends out will get lost in the onslaught

and if i weren't so damn lazy (i.e., afflicted w/ depressive hedonia), i could also perhaps justify my presence on myspace as a way to learn more about new music and new nights for journalistic purposes -- but of course i never really write anything, so that's an obvious lie too

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Myspace's purpose (now?) is a huge data-mining tool in which consumers provide a whole of market trend / subculture / "what do the people who like this also like?" information to one of the largest media organisations in the world.

Of course it offers services to those who sign up, but they are part of the means by which the ends are achieved, right?

I'm trying not to write this in a sinister or overly dramatic fashion, but I do find that kind of ... foul.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Sorry, meant to make it clear that most people talk about the site and its pros in cons wrt the services it offers to those who sign up, but I think that obscures the basic reason it is maintained and promoted.

dominic

Beast of Burden
michael said:
Myspace's purpose (now?) is a huge data-mining tool in which consumers provide a whole of market trend / subculture / "what do the people who like this also like?" information to one of the largest media organisations in the world.

Of course it offers services to those who sign up, but they are part of the means by which the ends are achieved, right?

i think you're right on the money -- sadly

however, b/c the pleasures of myspace are so damn hard to resist, i.e., b/c it's "addictive," i doubt people are prepared to give it up entirely

therefore, next best solution is for people who are already on myspace to leave the site for their own networks -- however, should any such "alternative" or "independent" networks reach critical mass, the people running them will likely be bought off by fox corporation or some other media giant -- right???